• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Annouced!!

Tofishem

I'm gonna put my 2 cents in on this one. (Obviously you already know where my bias is.)

Let me start by saying that I disagree with Bottomdweller's comment:

Quote:

Being a vikes fan and livin in cheese country I get to hear the majority of the pack fans. And let me tell ya, they dont want favre anymore. (Most) everyone I talk football with over here think favres been washed up for the last couple years.

I'm sorry, but this is a generalization. I know PLENTY of cheeseheads that were elated when they found out #4 was coming back. There have been numerous poles on different websites asking whether or not he should retire. Every one has shown at least 80% or more hoping for his return. There were even 2 separate petitions (each with well over a 1000 signatures) started by Packers fans that were desparately trying to get Favre to come back for one more year.

My opinion? I think he still has gas left in the tank. Sure his numbers are not what they used to be. But they are just as much a product of the declining state of the team from 2000-2005 as they are his age. Players should be judged in the context of their team, especially quarterbacks. The talent of the Packers in this decade has been on the decline due to Sherman's terrible drafting and atrocious free agency moves (decent coach, bad manager). Favre has been consistently asked to do more and more with less and less. He has never truly had a go to receiver like Peyton>Harrison or Montana>Rice. Having said all of this, I do think he is getting older and is not what he once was. But he is still in the top 10 in the league and has all of the tools to win the big game if you put the right people around him. I think the Packers' front office are starting to do that, albeit a little too late for Favre. The bottom line is he still gives us the best chance to win.

As a Vikes fan I will agree with most of your statements except that he has never had a go to receiver. He may not have had a Harrison, Rice, etc.., but he has had Lofton, Driver, Sharpe and Freeman in his prime. I would say he has spent almost his entire career with a pro bowl caliber receiver as his #1.

Right on, Fishy. I guess its how you define "go-to." He has had good receivers, but none that have really followed him through his career. I think Driver is a complete stud, but has only been producing at a pro-bowl level for the last few years. Free, Brooks, Sharpe were all good, but they have come and gone. (Then again, I guess that's what happens when you play forever.)