• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warrior 2090 Tiller

Sportland_Bait

When talking about tiller boats here in walleye country a few boat companies come to mind. The name that stands out at the top of the list is Warrior Boats from right here in Maple Lake MN. I have been running the Warrior 2090 with the Pro Tiller Steering System for the last few years. I absolutely love it, in my oppinion there is no better boat for keeping me on top of the fish. I also like that it keeps me dry when I'm running around. I just wanted to thank Warrior Boats for the great product and service they have provided me.

I've had the 135 Merc Optimax on the back. It has been a sweet engine for me, but I've been looking to upgrade on my next boat. Does anyone have experience with the Merc 175 Optimax or the Suzuki 175? I've heard good things about both. I'd love to know how far these engines will troll down to while forward trolling.

Jason Erlandson

I have an '06 175 Opti on a wheel boat, I have a kicker too though so I don't troll with my Opti. But it idles at 550 rpms and I would think if you propped it for trolling and especially if you went with the SmartCraft gauge that lets you bump down the rpms, I think you'd be good. Should be pretty similar to your 135 since they're the same block.

My Opti isn't propped for trolling so I can't give you any help with speed, but when my family goes cruising we close the throttle down and idle around a lot, and the motor never skips a beat.

From what I've heard and even experienced first-hand, a big 4-stroke will NOT troll down as slow as a big DFI motor like the Opti. But the Suzuki's gear ratio should help you slow down if you go with that motor.

Good luck.

Every time I see comparrisons in Bass and Walleye Boat Magazine the Opti-Max's always seem to shine. They are as good if not better than 4-strokes on fuel efficiency. They are always in the top tier for hole-shot and top end. Seems like Mercury has just about perfected that motor.