• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night fishing for walleye...

Bob_D

Does anybody fish deep water (25'+) structure for walleye at night? I know during the day deep water is productive, but I've always had my best luck at night in 4'-10' of water.

Someone was telling me about a rock pile in deep water that produced walleyes at night and I'm not sure what to think.

If you fish deep water at night, do you raise your baits off the bottom further then in shallow water?

>>> Someone was telling me about a rock pile in deep water that produced walleyes at night and I'm not sure what to think.

Think "its worth a shot"! We've been fishing a rock pile on top of a sandbar finger that has an inside turn right next to it all season. The top of the rocks are 28 feet down, the rocks are about a foot in diameter, and the sandy breaks on 3 sides lead to 33+ FOW.

We've caught walter all season on this spot - pigs (22, 23, 24, 25) and eaters (14"-19"), as well as perch-sized walleyes. All but one came under the cover of night, or at least twilight.

We've kept our bait just a couple inches off the rocks, which makes it within a foot of the bottom. We've watched the eyes come up the break on the camera, they seem to like to be stealthy and hide behind the rocks - which likely means your bait has to be above the "horizon" of the rocks on top for them to actualy see it, and not just hear/feel it. When close to the rocks, the minnows try to swim real hard to get in between the rocks and out of sight. When they get tired, a little jog gets them going again - active minnows are good!

Pounding a spoon on the rocks can sometimes be a dinner bell, too, but most eyes wont hit that clanky spoon, but they'll hit a minnow struggling nearby.

You'll get many different answers and opinions here... What's around that 25'fow is of significance. I've got a few spots on Mille Lacs that are 25-28' that I strictly fish after dark. These are areas surrounded by deeper water and the fish will come up top to feed in low-light. We've caught quite a few pigs off these "deeper" humps. I prefer a little deeper water as it allows to get away with some noise.