• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electronic training

jmikes

My lab is approaching 6 months of age. Yard training has been going pretty well, but she seems to have hit a rebelious stage. I have been following an old Tri-tronics book for hints on training, but haven't followed it religiously. I am wondering if this is a safe age to introduce the collar for commands like sit, stay, heel, come. The dog is strong headed and has good hunting desire.

One other note if anyone in the Rochester area is looking for someone to train with I would be interested. My wife is sick of throwing dumby's when it is 10 degrees out.

Thanks

I suggest you get some DVDs on Ecollar training! Ecollars can be a great tool if you do it right But you can wreck the dog if you do it wrong! And to make matters worse there is not a lot of le-way either way so you have to walk a fine line!

As to the age Every dog is different so you are the one that needs too make that call!You know your dog best!

Most of all If the dog doesn't yet know what the command means A Ecollar wont help!That is where the Dvds can help!

Good luck! Remember Patients is your best Friend!

I believe the book provides enought instruction on 'how too' and the dog 'knows' the commands I want it to. Maybe I should have asked for previous experience with collars as opposed to general info.

The +'s and -'s people encountered when training with a collar.

I think it would be helpful to know what you want the ecollar too do! Some trainers are under the misconception that "Well my dog is hard headed so what i need is a bigger stick"! In most if not all cases that just creates more troubles!

If you want the Ecollar too help make your discipline timing better they can do that!

If you want the Ecollar to give some extended control off leash they can do that!

If your dog truly knows the commands, but has the idea that he don't have to do them if he doesn't want! The collar can help.

A ecollar is not a silver bullet that will put an end too all training troubles!

The nice thing about the training dvds, is you can see the interaction between the trainer and the dog! That way you get a feel for what you should look for and need to do!

I should also add that I think if your getting negative results with a ecollar you are not using it properly!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for replying Try Too Fish. I appreciate your knowledge and opinions. This is my first dog and I want it to reach its potential. I was a little frustrated with the dog for a few days and thought it may have been a good time to try the collar.

But, instead of introducing the collar at this point and am going to make an effort to do more training on the lead. Once the weather gets warmer and she is about 7-8 months I will re-evaluate. As for the purpose of using the collar it is for the above mentioned reasons; timing and control

Always remember that the collar is to RE-ENFORCE the commands that have been taught, it is NOT to teach them.

You will be fine, don't be afraid of it. Dial down the setting until you find one that you are comfortable with that gives you the response you are looking for.

GOOD LUCK!!