• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's brave?

anyfishwilldo

My dad's coming down to Ely to fish some lakers during the day and sunnies in the evening. I'm sure we'll be sleeping in and probably not move much once we're set up.smirk.gif Also don't think tip-ups will be put out, if so not until the middle of the day. Get outta the wind and get the heater going, just another day.

I don't know if I'd call it brave. Mrs. boilerguy calls it stupid. I'll be out chasing snot rockets this weekend. Actually, I don't see much chasing happening. More like sitting in the warm fish house, cooking bacon, watching tube, and looking out the window to see if a flag is up.

I don't call it brave, I call it being a Minnesotan!

We only get so many weekends to enjoy winter and I want to have fun while it is here, -10 degree weather isn't going to stop me.

The weatherman on my favorite twin cities newstation was using words like 'dangerous', 'bitterly cold', 'life threatening' like we've never seen cold like this before.

I guess we live in a bubble in the cities and when conditions are out of the norm, they are dangerous. smile.gif

I'll make sure to put an extra layer on, top the propane tanks off, and make sure my truck is full of gas but thats all I'll do differently. I may have to bring my sandwiches and sodas in the ice shack with me to keep them from freezing but thats as difficult as it gets. Nothing worse than a slushy Mt. Dew or a frozen Mich Golden! smile.gif

same here man. i will be out from 4 to 10 tonight andi am going out all day saturday from 9am to 8pm. and i will be out sunday until about noon. i have to catch some gills and crappies for the superbowl. the addiction has set in. grin.gif

"Uhhhh? Uhhhh? Not me!" I'll be at home studying for a test I have to take!

I'm a Minnesotan for sure, I like the cold....but not quite this cold and I still have a bag of fish in the freezer... I think will save my fight for another day! grin.gif

lets put it this way. I thought it was stupid to be out on lake superior last weekend sitting in a portable in 20 mph winds. had to use the van and moving pads around the base of the shelter as a wind block. i'll still be dumb enough to do it again this weekend.

Last night they were talking -40 in Babbit and those areas and -30 or less in Ely. Ill be fishing for about 3 hours Sat/Sun. Thats all I need to get my fish I hope.

Dress warm, make sure your heater is working in this cold and bring some hot decaf coffee and you should be ok.

I remember one time a number of years ago when a friend and I went out crappie fishing on Ely Lake. It was 24 degrees below zero that afternoon (yes that was the high) with a windchill of -63. It goes without saying that we stayed in the truck most of the time. Didn't have any shelter back then. About every 10 minutes we'd have to get out to release our bobbers from the ice and it gave us an opportunity to give the jigs a little twitch. Eventually the crappies started to turn on a little. Man your hands get cold handing wet line and replacing minnows! At one point, we were sitting inside trying to warm our fingers when I told my partner that his bobber went down. He replied, "So what!" We still had a good time anyway.

Bob

Guys I've got truck that I worry about it not starting. It has never not started, but thats true of all trucks until the first time they don't start. Any tips on ensuring that a vehicle will start in this cold? The guys from up north have got to have something???