• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone familiar with this area? My bud from Col Sprgs is gonna hunt there the second rifle season(Oct 20-28?). I'm debating going at all, and if I do whether to use my deer pref points or get an OTC bull tag or apply for a cow tag. Any thought/comments? Thanks, later.

I've hunted 28 and 37 for years. There are plenty of animals there. You do have to work for them though. Get off the beaten track, get way back in there, and theres a chance for a trophy. I hunt Archery mostly, and try to beat the crowds. Good luck if you decide to go,

Dan

Thanks again Dan. My main factor is I have 2 deer pref points, which I think will about guarantee a tag about anywhere? I don't need to build up 4 pref points when it only takes a couple. I would prefer elk, bigger and tastier indeed! But I've never hunted muleys and the tag is less $$$. I'll post again after I talk to my bud from the CO Springs.

Aw heck, I'm still cornfused on what to do. My bud says they camp right on the CO R and muleys are the route to go. However I have a bud who wants to go and he's elk or bust. Now I'm thinking of applying for a cow elk tag so we can target elk. But I don't want to go out there and see all sorts of muley bucks! crazy.gif Flip a coin I guess. Its either muley rack or elk tenderloins. Uff da, nigh.

You can always try 36...........there are a lot of hunters in the 1st and 2nd season but the third thins out (since we usually get over foot of snow at least twice. Lots of animals, some decent bulls and I have missed 2 nice 4-by mulies

Dan, we will be focusing our hunting about 3 miles west of Williams Fork Resorvoir on the south side of the CO river. Just found that out today from my CO bud.

I've never played with the PM but will have to check my settings, sorry. Well we had a great time other than my knee going to heck on me. We hunted hard and all four of us had opportunities at nice bucks, some better than nice. The locals claimed there weren't as many deer around as usuall, maybe we were hunting the resident deer and the ones up high were still there, nonetheless a great time and rewarding hunt. I had a doe and fork eyeball me up for a couple minutes before the she got nervous, which prompted 4 other deer to get up. One was a small buck and one was very nice. Never could get a shot though as they moved up the mountain, just too much timber/brush in the way. About 20 minutes later a buddy shot and a very large muley came busting around the side of the hill. I got three pokes at it but I'm just not good enough to hit a running deer at 300 yards I guess! To make a long story short I passed on a couple forks the morning after a snowfall, which one of my buds from CO shot and the other shot a nice one after some misreading of the map and a long hike, here's his deer. Thanks for the info Dan!

Kettnersbuck1.jpg

Kettnersbuck2.jpg