• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard Starting StrikeLite

TimBuck2

Any StrikeLite owners had trouble starting their auger? It seems like mine's a cold sumgun. I have never had an easy time with it. I bought it in Oct. reconditioned. I recently checked the plug and it looked gunked up, so I cleaned it and hit the electrode with some sandpaper, but it still takes a good 20 pulls to start. I waited an extra year to purchase this to see if there would be any negative posts on this auger, but didn't see anything on hard starting. Should I start varying the gap on the plug? I know I have a full warranty on it, but now that there is ice I don't want to part with it. This is my first auger, so it's not beyond the realm of possibilit that it's operator error, but I do have some apptitude.

No it starts great... pump the bulb, turn switch to start, give a couple strokes on the throttle, and pull. Usually starts on the 2nd pull.

I am having problems with the blades icing up compared to my other Strikemaster models I had. I was thinking of cutting off the shield around the blades because I feel it accumalates more ice there and freezes up after drilling a couple of holes. The other Strikemasters don't have this shield. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

my father has the strikelite and he has had no problems starting it except when in below zero weather. However, he has had problems with it icing up too. When it gets cold just make sure to flush the slush out of the gaurd when you get through the ice.

I do use the primer button, but I never thought to give the throttle a couple of pushes before pulling the cord. I'm heading out to the garage to give it a whirl. I be back shortly with the results. Thanks.

If you are having trouble with your Strike master ice auger give a call to their service center. You can find it on line I dont want to post the number but, Cy is a tech, and was really helpful when I had a problem.

Once you get the auger running does it stay running and run good? What about after it gets warmed up does it re-start easily? the reason I ask is since it is a reconditioned auger I wouldn't be surprised if the carburetor is gummed up from the old gas. If you don't want to bring it in to a shop right now I would suggest draining all the gas from the tank so you know you're starting with fresh fuel. You could try adding some seafoam to the gas but I have never had any luck with it. Also I would go get a new spark plug. I have seen quite a few fourwheelers and four stroke outboards that seem like they are running lean (hard starting, backfiring through intake, and plain old running poorly) but once you put in a new spark plug they run perfectly.

Quote:

I thought for sure that the throttle would do the trick, but it's still being stubborn.
confused.gif

Tim Buck, I know that Mankato is a ways away from Big Lake but you may want to plan a trip up that way. You could stop at Cabelas on your way by there as well. I had the same thing with mine... a royal pain and I was really starting to get mad. I took it to Strike Master and 15 minutes later I was walking out of there with an auger that ran great with it's new carburator! All at no cost. Give them a try you won't be dissapointed. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I did drain the tank and started fresh with some premium fuel. I will try a new plug. I should be able to check the switch with an ohmeter. If that doesn't do it I guess I'll head to Big Lake. Thanks for the replys. I'll keep monitoring this for other ideas, but I'll cut it off when I decide to make the trek to Strikemaster.

I'd stick with low octane fuel if I were you. High octane fuel is for high compression engines and it retards spark to stop premature cumbustion. Not that it's you problem with the hard starting.

Stupid question, but are adjusting the choke properly?

I agree, I would talk to strikemaster. Mine was acting very weird I have the lazer mag express. The person i talked to said, What would you like us to do? replace it or repair it. I said i would like to start with a new one. DONE DEAL. Great people to work with. I wish other company's would follow. laugh.gif