• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics for Trout?

superhawk16

I fish a lot of small streams out here in Wisconsin while I am at college and was curious if it would be effective to use some plastics during the early season. I typically use my fly rod but on some of the smaller streams I have to use a spinning rod and I thought plastics might work on some of these streams. Have any of you guys ever tried plastics for stream trout?

You bet they work! Try a chartruse/black line Mister Twister in 2 or 3 inch with matching black jigs/yellow eye. I almost don't even use the rapalas anymore...those treble hooks are pretty hard on the small trout anyway.

I have had a ton of luck on the ribbed tube jigs. Green Glow, or Chartruse with a pink head have worked the best. Use a ton of twitching action near log jams, they work fabulous! Good Luck! -(Contact Us Please)

A buddy of mine caught a 20+" brown on a red crappie sized tube on a jighead with a red hook a few weeks back. Twitched on the bottom.

That was a long car ride home . . .

I've toyed with the idea of using a longer 3-4" grub body on a bigger jighead to chase some of the bruiser browns. No reason it shouldn't work. Big fish like big baits.

Great topic, I was just gonna post the same thing.

I fished the Rush in W. Wi last year and tried a Northland Mimic Minnow and had tons of fish follow it in but no takers, although that day I also tried garden hackle with no results and I had two buds flinging flies. I've been eyeing up the Storm lures and thinking of a power grub rigged unweighted. More info guys!

So that's it or what? frown.gifmad.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifsmirk.giftongue.gif

Somebody's holding out!

We used to catch rainbows on a small local lake with 1.5" tubes. Dark30 - straight retreive with the twisters or bottom jiggin?

I have better luck swimming it really fast just under the surface of the water...like a crayfish trying to get away. If they are in the mood, they have no problem catching it. A lot of times, the fish starts chasing it and i'll pause for just a second and then continue reeling. Seams to give them added interest. Those browns down on the Root will grab the lure and turn so fast its hard to set the hook. I like using a med heavy rod so the line stays tight and they will hook themselves.

A friend of mine uses tinsel jigs or the like. He fishes slower with more bottom contact...He catches plenty of fish too.

Try a 1 inch Berkley Power Nymph in one of the natural colors on a 1/16 oz. jig head in either plain lead or black. Jig it in short jerks and hang on because I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I think some of you steelheaders should give it a try. I've used it on both a spinning rod and a fly rod. You can all thank me later. You can send gifts to my home address which I will provide on request.

Brown trout especially. I have caught browns, rainbows, brookies and cutthroat. That's why I think they would work on steelhead too. I like the colors - toad and olive/pearl.

I too use a very fast retreive with the trout baits, mostly streamers/flies, but some spin fishing as well. The trout will be able to smack it no matter how fast it's retreived. I think they actually instinctually hit a fast irratic retreive. Mimmics fleeing prey.