• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Structure On A String In Deeper Water

Ebiz

For those of you that have used structure on a string with success, what water depths are you typically using it in. The majority of my panfishing in the winter is over water between 22-28 feet and the structure stuff hasn't seemed to work for me. Does this stuff work better at depths that there would typically be weeds at?

I tried it for the first time yesterday on a slope starting in 28 fow going to 23 fow in a straight line .

I have the extreme SOS which is 6ft in length and 4 lengths . It was barely 5 minutes after putting it down that I hooked my first crappy of 13 inches . I really thought we might be onto something but never got another bite there the rest of the day but I did mark fish around the structure consistently all day and it was a tough bite no matter how many holes I pounded, nor where . I started with 50 holes and stayed on the move and alot of the holes were dead of marks . The verdict is still out for me because I can't hardly call this a test but the fish did use it whenever I checked back and I found it very easy to setup and easy to take down . I just left mine in place all day because I had to stay very mobile to get a bite but will continue testing it .

TD

Quote:

...The majority of my panfishing in the winter is over water between 22-28 feet and the structure stuff hasn't seemed to work for me. Does this stuff work better at depths that there would typically be weeds at?

I fish in depths of 13 to 20 feet in smaller dishpan lakes, with water clarity generally less than 5 feet (although clarity is better than that during hard water periods). In these lakes the weeds never grow in depths greater than 10 feet.

I have two of the 4' SOS units. I also occasionally use another 4' camoflage unit on my camera cable.

Yesterday afternoon I set up early in the afternoon on an 18' deep mud flat. Crappies may pass by during 'power hour', but it's a barren desert during other times. Shortly after I dropped the SOS lines, small perch and bluegills started showing up on my camera monitor. Suddenly, about 4:15, the monitor screen was filled with crappies, some quite large... I managed to catch five before the school moved on; action time was probably less than 10 minutes.

I don't know if the fish lingered because of the SOS units, but it's the first time I've caught more than 1 or 2 fish in that location. Maybe I should buy another 4 SOS units, and set up a 'veritable oasis' in the desert? smile.gif

I have only tried this once... So I cant say for sure that this works.. but this did work once.

I fish one hole on a lake, its like 35 feet deep.. and the crappies generally suspend only about 10 foot down. The SOS Reel Weeds have a stopper on something like a bobber. I put the SOS down only 11-12 feet so that it was in the range the fish usually suspended. I know this was not natural for the fish.. but I dont think they are all that bright either...I caught fish, it worked that night.. then again, they may have been there without the weeds... but it sure didn't hurt the fishing!