• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Springer issues...

MIKE IN lINO III

I have a Springer that is approx 8 yrs old. She recently started having to go outside in the middle of the night. I get up early and she has to out then also. She pants heavily and seems like she can't get enough water. Should I be concerned? Is it just because of the dry winter air?

Any ideas?

Mike

Is your dog overweight?

Diabetes mellitus is a common condition of middle aged to older dogs, especially if they are overweight. There are two kinds of diabetes mellitus. Type 1 is when the body does not make enough insulin; in people this is often known as juvenile diabetes. Type 2 is when the body makes insulin but is not able to use it (insulin resistance); in people this is called adult onset diabetes. One cause of type 2 diabetes is obesity. Common symptoms for either type include drinking excessively, urinating large quantities, and weight loss in spite of a good appetite. Diagnosis is based on symptoms and the presence of glucose (sugar) in the urine, and too high a level of glucose in the blood.