• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Was always curious!!

Years ago I walked into a Meat Market in my Hometown of Duluth , MN. In the display case was " Alaskan Walleye Fillets - 8.99 LB. " . I asked what part of AK they were caught in because I lived in AK for years and never heard of a Walleye being caught . After a long uncomfortable pause the butcher admitted that it was Cod . Cod we used to sell to the Cannery for 7 cents a pound he was calling Walleye and selling for 8.99 a Lb . Shameful .

Hap can you get him to email you the exact difference along with photos between dolly varden and arctic char? If so can you put a post on here? I have been having a heck of a time getting a fish and game bio to give exact definations of each, and how to tell them apart. I know what I have read about some go to the ocean some don't etc... But I have also heard they take large areas and classify all the dolly's-char in that area one or the other. I would like clarificaiton on that if you could get it.

He's currently on vacation, until Mid march or April, then off to the rivers to trap minnows. He rarely gets time in the office until winter. He may pass biefly through here in the next week or two, and if the opportunity exists, I'll see if he wants to answer your question.

You might also look at the 2 links here:

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/fish/a%5Echar.php

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/fish/dolly_v.php

There are no walleyes in Alaska. Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are essentially the same fish. A trained biologist can tell the slight difference in the vomer, a portion of the throat. Char will color up sllightly more perhaps than a dolly varden. Char will often get much larger although I have seen some BIG sea run dollies. Incidentally, the brook trout is also a member of the Char family.

Walleyes will not make it in AK for several reasons, one of which is the state has a very rigid policy regarding introduction of foreign species. Please don't whine to the AK, Dept. F&G about walleyes! Trust me, they've heard it all before!! Ha!! tongue.gif

Fisherman,

It's been 15 years since I lived in Seward, I guess I moved back outside too soon. It would have been a long drive to hunt rooties but I would have done it - the spruce hens are not too sporting most of the time and it was a long hike to get the ptarmigan. I'll just have to settle on slammin some salmon when I visit. grin.gif