• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

night bite on Devils Lake

Is there a night bite on Devils Lake at all. We are planning on renting sleepers or bringing are own houses and we have been told after the magic hour the lake turns dead! any info would be appreciated. Thanks SDPROV

The night bite is pretty much non existent. I have stayed out in sleepers on Devils a couple times and will leave a lines in all night nothing has happened for me until morning. We always bring our portables along to stay mobile. We try to stay on the bite and move frequently from just before sun up until sun down. A buddy of mine who has family in the area has stayed on the lake at night alone a few times and only caught one nice sized pike. He was asleep and awoke from the sound of his rod falling to the floor of the shack. He jumped up grabbed the rod and battled the fish. So, it is possible but I wouldn't stay up for it. Some of the rentable sleepers up there have the rattle reels on the walls. If the sleeper you rent is equipped with those it wouldn't hurt to rig those up... While your up there hope for overcast conditions. Sometimes the walleye will bite through out most of the day with conditions like that.

We just came back a month ago and while there I had a rattle wheel go off twice in an hour,(around 2:00 in morn). Just enuff to wake me twice. Missed it both times. Felt like a small eye??? But I was up there for 4 nights.It seemed to me the bite didn't really begin til about 9:00 A.M. and ended around 5:30 P.M.. Caught 1 17 inch around 7 P.M. on the last night that got a hold of all our lines. It wouldn't hurt to leave a rattle wheel ready but don't expect too much. Good Luck!