• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for some advice on Devils Lake

Jigging spoons, Jigging raps and things like that tipped with a fathead or just a minnow head work well for the walleye. Fish along the flooded timber, and submerged road beds.

For the pike, tip-ups with a big smelt on 'em should work for ya.

Don't over look the jumbo perch on Devils. If you can get on them, it can be fast action. jigging spoons ect. tipped with minnow heads or waxies should work.

I am in the same situation, A buddy and I are planning a trip up there either the last weekend in Feb or the first weekend of March. Can anyone tell me how the fishing is around this time? We are bringing a good size portable, but might be staying at one of the motels with a package deal. Any info would be of great help.

I would go with a good source of jigging spoons they will likely be better than chubby darters. But darters will probably be just fine as well. Lots of hotel options in town. The nicest place is the comfort inn. The Great American Inn and Suites is really good for the outdoorsman and cater to fisherman. Plus there is a bar at the hotel. For food you have to eat at the Ranch Steakhouse the best food in town.

The most consistent bite has been walleyes and northerns the entire season. We have had days when we have had 50 flags go off by noon. I cant give away any specific locations but we have been fishing shallow along the flooded trees. You might look into getting a guide at least for a day to get you started. Devils lake can be overwhelming if its your first time.

Jeff Dosch

www.doschguides.com

thanks for the info on the place for a great steak......I hear about the chubby darter, what size should I use and what color, should I go for the pearch or is there a certain color they like there........once again thank you for all your input....................

The Pizza Ranch doesn't even come close to the Ranch. I spend many days in DL and I know where the good eats are grin.gif. Maybe the Pizza Ranch for lunch but then you better be out fishing so you better go for the steak for supper after a hard day of chasing after fish.

Like I said I wouldn't get too carried away on Chubby darters due the the price. Maybe some perch, gold orange, and lum. orange. One thing to remember about them the are $6 a piece and there are lots of pike and timber in the lake so keep that in mind. The lake slows down after dark it doesn't entirly shut off though but it is usually slower.

What kind of 6# line? I would be inclined to go a little stronger than that... you at least stand the chance of getting some of your jigs back out of the trees... What I like to use is a super line - Power Pro / Fireline, etc... usually in 8 - 10 lb test since the super line helps get your line diameter down. Oh, and I probably wouldn't worry about a leader... usually if they're in the biting mood they'll bite.

Good Luck!

marine_man

Hey Marine Man I'm fishing Devils lake for the first time in early March. I'm from Southern MN. My dad, my two sons, and one of my nephews are coming with me. We are renting a house from Woodland. My main target would be big walleye, but I would also love to get into the big pike and perch. Have you heard much about the resort and how good they are at getting you on the fish?

Thanks ~piker

To be honest with you I don't think you can go wrong with any of the resorts on Devils Lake. They're all pretty good. You'll want to tell the resort what you'd like to target as that may change where they'll put you.

I don't know that with that many people / type of trip I'd tell the resort I'm targeting big fish only as that'll influence where they'll put you (maybe deeper) and you won't catch as many fish as you might like to, so I'd hope for the occasional big fish in a house that is producing.

Have a good trip!

marine_man

DL can get much deeper than 15' much deeper. As to what is working Woodland should be pretty well on top of it they are a very popular resort up there. I wouldn't shy away from water over 30' deep there are fish there too. Trees have always been a good spot for me to fish for eyes up there. There is plenty of stucture to try out.

thank you so much for the info, but where or how can I find the trees, I hear much about the trees and road but how do I find where they are??????? It blows my mind that the lake is upon roads, trees and I have heard farmssteads under water??

You are right sir,

I have never been there before, so I did not understand that the trees come out from the ice, I thought that the trees were underwater, but if you have some pointers on how to bait the hook to improve my catch that would be great.....that is why my name is walleye rookie.......

smile.gif