• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

20 guage for turkey

FINGRIN

I wouldn't hesitate a bit. I started my son with a Mossberg Bantam 20, with great results. As with any gun, pattern it, know the distance limitations and it will perform just fine. Many big Tom's have fallen to a 20 gauge.

If your son is comfortable with the gun, it's one less thing to distract him when his heart is pounding like a drum and that big bird is gobbling like crazy.

Good luck!! I hope he nails one.

A 20 gauge is a very viable option for turkey hunters nowadays. While the copperplated lead and other older lead loads would kill a turkey well in a 20, I really like the hevi-type shot now in a 20 gauge. It's denser and patterns very well, providing the person toting a 20 quite a few load options that will kill very nicely.

Remember to pattern and use a good turkey choke still. Match the choke with ammo your 20 likes to shoot, and you'll have a turkey killing machine!

Borch and others here might have specific recommendations, as I do not personally own a 20.

Joel

Given the right load choke combo you'll not be undergunned at all. In fact there's a growing trend of guys moving away from the 3 1/2" guns to the little 20 gauge. I can give you the combos that work well in my daughter's 20 gauge 870. Using a Hastings .566 turkey choke paired with Federal 3" #6 1 5/16 oz lead loads she got 15+ bone hits at 35 yards. With a Primos tightwad .570 and Rem Hevishott #6 load she got 20+ bone hits at 40 yards. Enery wise the 20 gauge is equivelant or better than the 3 and 3 1/2" 12 gauge pushing those heavy turkey loads.

Check out the nitro loads as well if you're really wanting to stretch to 40+ yards with the right choke.

Good Luck!

I too will be taking my daughter on her first turkey hunt with a 20 guage we just picked up yesterday. Has anyone tried patterning with a regular full choke? The little Rem 870 20 guage only came with a modified choke and I am concerned the turkey choke might be to tight for close range shooting. We will be using a double bull blind and shooting sticks and looking to keep the shots close based on patterning after I get the choke. But at $30 a choke I don't want a handfull of them.

20ga. Would be perfect. My younger brother took this first turkey with a 20ga. and Remington #4 Hevi Shot at 55yrds. It was one of those over excited times. A group of four jakes were working our way down a fence line and he just shot out of no where. I still to this day can’t believe he hit the bird.