• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

neon glow sticks

SpikeRoberts

I was at the tackle store today and picked up something I've never seen before -- small neon glow sticks that attach to jig heads made by Northland (yes, I am so bored by the lack of ice that I have nothing better to do than hang out at the tackle shop and look for the latest gimmick).
My questions are a) are they legal in MN, and B) do they work or did I just waste another 3 bucks on useless fishing tackle?

I think we payed 2 bucks for them last year, between myself and my partner we used them maybe 30 hours on L.O.W last year, if memory serves me right we got 1 small sauger and a burbot. I have'nt heard of others hammering fish with them either....but you never know. I think they were designed to catch fishermen!

The first time I used the glow sticks was last winter and killed the crappies up on red. From that night on I swear there is some sort or repellent on them glow sticks!! I truly believe the glow sticks do more damage than good while fishing. Fishy is right, these glow sticks are aimed more to catch the fisherman than the fish!
Ruegs23

I was not impressed when friends of mine used them on LOW last winter, I think I did better with out them.

I have since learned that you can shove them into the top of an Ice Buster Bobber (by the way IMHO are wonderful!) in order to "light" the bobber.

Also - In my honest opinion - at Northland's price the light sticks are too expensive for the purpose of lighting bobbers!

But.....I found a little bit bigger light sticks (used for kids jewelry) at the local dollar store for a buck for a 3 pack! I have not tried them yet on the ice, but I did experiment with putting them in the bobbers and cracked one open and it stayed glowing for almost 20 hours!!!.

I do not think they would work for casting during the summer - but I think they will work great for the ice and cannot wait to "field test" them!

Dr. Bob

P.S. - You have to bore a hole in the end of the bobber with a tooth pick before you shove the light stick in.