• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free ESS to a good home

Dogzlife000

Well, it deeply saddens me to write this post but none the less, due to situations beyond my control, I am forced to relocate and must find a good home for Katie, my pure bred ESS (white and black dog in avatar). Katie is just over 3 years old and weighs about 40 pounds. She has had 5 weeks of formal bird dog training at 7 months of age, numerous hours of training with me, and has hunted with me for the past 3 seasons. She flushes hard and is very driven and determined in the field. She’s easy to keep close and naturally wants to stay in front of you. I’ve primarily hunted grouse the past three seasons but, as you might expect from an ESS, she really shines on pheasants. Also, she really loves the water.

Optimum would be a country or somewhat rural home that would allow her to run a bit each day (I somewhat have that where I currently live). Also, she currently is, and I want her to be, an indoor dog and very much apart of a family (she is not wild in the house, well, at least not anymore, and she will generally just lounge around whenever you do).

Please reply if you can help or know of someone that would be appropriate. I’d keep her if I could, but unfortunately, I just can’t. My only consolation is that hopefully I can find a better home for her than what I provide right now.

Pete

I passed on this info to a good friend. He would be able to give the dog a great home and hunts pheasants every weekend! She sounds like she would like that. I will follow up and let you know if he is interested.

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the interest. It sure pains me to even visit this thread, but it's comforting to know that, in all likelihood, everything is going to work out just fine.

MNUser, yes, she loves to hunt and it's important to me that whoever takes her gets out bird hunting on a regular basis.

That said, Basssmasher, do you get out and do any bird hunting? If so, please provide some contact info. I like your statement about pampering.....she definitely gets that where she is right now. Concerning other dogs, let's discuss. Overall, it shouldn't be an issue.

Tink, how about you? Do you get out bird hunting on a regular basis?

Pete

hey Dogz, I can never get out enough!! it should be everyday as far as im concerned.. Just being outdoors is great to me ,but yes I hunt and now that i moved up here I hunt a little more cuz I can find birds!! lol i have 1 dog, a cocker and hes fixed and isnt to keen on hunting so I have to go alone but he has a great nose as I have had him out a few times.. He used to sleep on the end of the bed til My son was born.. now hes perfectly fine in a kennel.. My better 1/2 LOVES animals and 1 more would be ok with her too grin.gif

I grouse, woodcock and duck hunted 20 days straight from last week in September to mid October, from then to the end of December it was hunting 2 to 3 days a week. I also have a five-year-old male Springer and a one-year-old chocolate lab, both very friendly and good with other people and dogs.

Just want Katie to get a good home.

Is she AKC registered, has she been fixed, what is her breeding background?

I have a background in Springer’s and dog-training going on 35 years.

Tink

PS give Basssmasher the 1st chance and if it doesn't work out I will still be here.

Well, I just finished up a list of commands and terms that Katie knows for the person that eventually takes her home. At 35 so far. Some are just tricks and simple stuff, and others are redundant (whistle commands), but none the less, more than I thought. Also, the realtor I had over today had nothing but great things to say about Kate's behavior (of course, she's biased.......you never trash a person's dog). Kate did stay down when commanded by the realtor, but then proceeded to put her nose on the realtor's thigh, which resulted in a pat. Then Kate nuzzled her hand, which resulted in another pat, upon which Kate put a paw on her thigh, and the next thing you know, she licking the realtors face.....all in less than a minute. She sure has the art of human seduction down pat grin.gif. Now normally I wouldn't allow such shenanigans but seeing that she won't be around much longer, I've started to become rather leniant with her. Sure gonna miss her when she's gone. frown.giffrown.gif

Here's a better pic of Kate....crouched and fully dug in......just waiting for my command to fetch.

Pete

DSC00965.jpg

Pete

Katie is one nice looking field springer. My wife had a Katie female springer for 14 years. I still remember when my wife shot Katie's last grouse. I still have a tail feather on my walking stick. Sorry but the name Katie just beings back some good memories.

Well pete the official verdict is in.. Sorry to say I'm not gonna be able to get Katie from you frown.gif.. She looks like a great dog and will make someone very very happy. Im just as sad about not getting her as you are having to give her up I think.. I wish you well on finding her a good home and I'm sure she will find one soon!!

pete, let me know if you haven't found katie a home. i curently have a 4 yr old springer female. i had to put my 13 yr old female to sleep last year. i live in the country and i hunt pheasants at least 3 times a week from start of season till the end. i also have 2 kids that just love dogs.

I need to bump this to the top. I have yet to make firm arrangements for Kate and my personal situation is rapidly becoming dire. If you or someone you know is in need of an obedient, hard-charging bird dog that is also a pleasure to have around the house, please give me a call. I do realize that I'm not hitting a very large market by posting this on a fishing HSOforum, but I'm just a bit peeved by the lack of response. Sort of feels like a slap in the face considering just how much time and effort I put in to training this pooch.

That said, I am also pursuing, and would actually prefer, the possibility of someone boarding Kate for a while. I'm not sure on the duration due to my current situation, but it would have to be for at least a couple of months and perhaps as many as 6 months. Maybe someone retired, living on a limited budget, that could use the company and a small stipend. It would be prefered that this person be located somewhere near Hibbing. That way I will be nearby in the event I need to assist with her care, but it's not absolutely necessary. Please note, I definitely can't afford much at all, and most definitely can not afford a boarding facility. Regardless, an arrangement like this would allow me to keep Kate, which I would very much prefer to do. Any help on this matter would be greatly and forever appreciated. In some manner, shape or form, the favor will be returned.

My contact info is listed in the above post. Please call if you can help.

Below is another pic of Kate that I shot this morning, waving her "hair" is her best supermodel pose. As you can see, she's got that nice "boxy" shape of a field bred springer.

Pete

DSC00985.jpg

Sorry for the non-response. I didn’t want to indicate that I’d whimped out!

The treasurer and chief and CEO and president in all her wisdom indicated we didn’t need another dog, asking me to please not get another, so I reneged after thinking about our situation and realizing she was right. She is always right when ever she says something. After 41 years of marriage I have learned to listen, abide a little.

She objected to my last dog “Willie” who is an 80# neutered lab and was given to me because I could supply a GOOD hunting home. I also have “Max” a 36# male Springer. She takes care of these dogs while I am not around, while on extended motorcycle trips (20 to 30 days) ride to the wall or ROT rally in Texas or rides through Montana or ice fishing trips or motor home trips, etc. You get the idea.

I keep getting the idea I can do it all and every now and then she has to rein me into reality.

Dam I sorry for offering a good home to Katie and than changing my mind.

Tink

PS: Hibbing, I went to school in Hibbing for two long years and I think Bob Dylan is right, that place sucks. If they ever give Minnesota an enema Hibbing or Duluth is where they will put the hose. You should be slapped giving your dog away to go to Hibbing…

Quote:

You should be slapped giving your dog away to go to Hibbing…

Tink, I agree......and feel it too frown.gif

Well, it is with mixed feelings of relief, and incredible sadness, that I type this post to inform all that Katie has a new home. As much as I wish that I could change my personal circumstances, and keep Katie in the family, I just couldn’t……I simply ran out of time.

Todd, I hope that everything is going well with Katie. Please keep me informed. If there are any issues whatsoever, please give me a call.

Pete

I would just like to follow up my previous post by stating a heartfelt thanks to all who called with their words of support. Pete S. and Dave C, I only wish I had more Katies to go around.

Dick R, my heartfelt thanks to you for your generous offer to board Katie in your home for free. Unfortunately for me, just a tad bit too late frown.gif Regardless, Julie and I will be sure to stop by when I get up to Hibbing.

Thanks again all,

Pete

Quote:

PS: Hibbing, I went to school in Hibbing for two long years and I think Bob Dylan is right, that place sucks. If they ever give Minnesota an enema Hibbing or Duluth is where they will put the hose. You should be slapped giving your dog away to go to Hibbing…

Hey,

Thanks alot for bashing the place where alot of FM members and I call home. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT COME UP HERE. I am sure you can find alot of other places in the state that have hunting and fishing areas like what the Iron Range has.

This isn't a bashing forum......It is for hunting and fishing info etc. Take your useless comments somewhere else.

Chris Larson