• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass SEX

ikeslayer

i am sure i got any mans attention with the title. however i am wondering how you tell the difference in sex. i am looking of something scientific that will tell me this while i am out fishing. I would love to be able to distinguish this while having one in my hand. I know it is easy when the are egg laden but then after spawn you got me. i know female tend to grow bigger but that is it that is all i got. ike

If your fish hits the lure as soon as it hits the water then odds are it is a male, if it nudges it, splashes at it, rolls around it, picks it up and drops it then returns to pick it up again before dropping it or if it finally bites after you changes colors several times it is a female. wink.gif

On a serious note, I really dont think there is a way to tell without taking a knife to the fish. I would assume all bass in our state that are over 3.5 lbs to be female... but if you are looking at a 1 lb fish, I doubt there is any way to tell.

I have read a few articles that state if you look at the anal opening(stop the giggling) on some female bass it is shaped more like an hour glass.. while most males stay quite round. Again, I cant confirm this.. just what I have read else where.