• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lazer-Mag pull rope problem...

CALVINIST

Question

The problem is that the rope is hanging out of the power head 2/3 of the way. Is this something that is easy to fix myself? Or should I have someone who knows how do it? How much would it cost to bring to a shop to fix?

9 answers to this question

I have had my rope pulled out all the way a few times now. I have fixed it myself. My auger is probably 4-5 years old now so I don't know if the design is changed.

But to get the top off is about 4 or 5 bolts and you need to partly remove the gas tank. Twice I have pulled the spring out (No good) and with two of us we were able to wind it back up and get it put back in. The last time I was able to just crank the plastic reel that the spring is wound on until it is all the way tight and than allow it to slowly pull the rope back in, doing this while it is all still in the housing.

I don't know if I have explained this well but if you do not want to tackle this yourself I would recomend bringing it in to D-rock in Roseville to fix. I don't know what they will charge you but it will be reasonable and they will do a good job.

Do a search for +strikemaster +recoil. There is a lot of discussion on similar problems and what you need to do to get the problem area exposed. Is the rope fixed at its position or can you pull the remaining cord out? If it's free moving it sounds like the recoil spring has slipped and you don't have tension to pull the cord back. The spring is not a lot of fun, but manageable. If you don't feel condident don't start this at all, and let a pro fix it. It may easily be worth the money, as my first 2-3 times were a MESS, but a learning experience at what not to do.

Quote:

Or should I have someone who knows how do it? How much would it cost to bring to a shop to fix?

If you decide you are going to bring it in; you can find a tecumseth(they warranty the power head) repair center and they can do it. They can also see if your unit is under warranty with the serial number. Good luck, I had my almost new pull cord get stuck like you are describing and I took it in for repairs. The spring was all over the place when I peaked at it. frown.gif

I had my rope break this year....took it into the repair shop...they fixed the rope, changed the spark plug.. tuned it up...filled the tank with gas....all for about 25.00 dollars.

Cliffy

Mine did this last year. The recoil spring jumped off the housing and it was all messed inside. It took a good hour or more of figuring out how the coil, housing, etc...fits back into place, finding out the coil was bent, and how to wind it all back together and get everything absolutely perfect to bolt together. My fingers hurt quite a bit, grease, cuts..., and I had to go to confession after I completed the job. smirk.gif

It would have gone smoother had I known how everything fit together, but nothing was in original order so it was trial and error.

If you can find someone to do it all for $25 like cliffy did, that is the BEST route. grin.gif Recoils are the worst!