• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loonhaunt Trout action

Wondering if anyone has been fishing Loonhaunt for Lake Trout. Going up to Pipestone 23-26 Feb and would like to give it a try. Also, any walleyes to be had there? I was up to Pipestone early Jan and had good luck. Just want to start learning the area better.

Was up to Loonhaunt a couple weeks ago. Fished shallow, 15-40 ft. Not a lot of trout, but the ones we got were nicer fish. We had our best luck on white, salt impregnated tube jigs with full chubs or heads on them. Not sure about the walleye action on Pipestone, but Clearwater (Burditt) has some nice 'eyes in it. It's a low-light bite on Clearwater. Good fishing, that's some beautiful country up there.

Loon is a decent trout lake, but Pipestone is an overall better lake for size and numbers. It is always fun to fish a different lake though. I have not heard of anybody fishing walleye through the ice on Loon. I know some people go into Bone Lake off of Loon once in a while and do pretty good different times.

G-Man and Superbee,

Thanks for the info. I was only in Loonhaunt once, years ago in summer. Been coming up to Pipestone for over 40 yrs but this is only my third winter. Nice to be able to easily access other lakes. My last trip we had the best luck on a white and green tube jig, actually a salt water variety. I stay on Pipestone, not too far from Pipestone Lodge, thats why I'm interested in learning Loonhaunt. I've been in Helena and Dad Lakes but so far Pipestone has been the best. Hopefully this cold snap will be over by the next trip