• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

True Cost of a Wheel House?

MuleShack

Question

Has anyone build their own wheel house?

Just wondering what the true cost is of building your own versus buying one from a dealer. Obviously it would equal to less $$, but wondering what material costs you encountered and how much labor involved. I was looking at buying a frame from Road King trailers. (They seem to have a quality product)...((after reading up on the sponsor above, fish house supply has a solid trailer also))

I like to work on projects and stuff but never built something like this. I want it done right, but yet looking to save money. Probably looking at an 8' x 16' drop frame trailer. anybody have experience here and how much did it cost and how long to build.

What is the best product to use for the outside and roof?

Last question is were you glad you did it yourself or did you wish you had it built when it was done?confused.gif

Thanks for any insight cool.gif

Steve

I forgot to mention if any of you guys were wondering theres a business not 10 miles from my house that has been doing the spray urethane foam insulation for prolly 20 years. They have done a few of my friends fish houses for dirt cheap. Northern Insulation is the company name if anybody was serious and was looking!

My floor is always colder when I fish. Thats cuz there's big holes in the floor. Its not freezing cold, I always wear my mocasins or slippers in the house still. You can put 10" of insulation on the floor and it won't change. Put the sleeves in the holes to help remove some of the draft, bank it up, and move more heat off the ceiling towards the floor the best you can. Other than that I am not sure what else you could do.

Ok well then i guess im stuck for now then. I've got the hole covers and fans mounted on the ceiling pointing down and of course the slippers cant forget those! But does anyone understand were I'm coming from thinking that you would want more insulation near the ice were its nauturally gunna need more to keep as warm as the higher warmer air?

My $0.02 - don't underestimate the cost of putting four insulated walls and an insulated floor and insulated roof together. Holy cow - exterior sheeting/siding, poly wrap, framing, insulation, paneling, windows... the cost per square foot in the end is shocking for something so simple. Anything you can do to cut the cost of walls w/o sacrificing warmth and air tightness means more comfort down the line when on a budget!