• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carving decoys

EatSleepFish

Great Pic's on the weighting of the decoys. I weight mine the same way. I cover the hole with epoxy. Got my decoy carving info off of Michigan Darkhouse Association.

Just finished 2 and let my 11yr and 8 yr old do the painting. VERY interesting designs. They look very promising laugh.gif

Have you guys ever tried creating some more hollow pockets in your decoys, sealing them off, and then minimizing the amount of lead you use? It seems to me like the closer to neutral bouyancy you come - the slower your fish should swim.

How do you decide where the weight goes with respect to the fins, and where to attach the line? I assume these are the key things that create the "swimming" action.

I've never tried to make any before, but I'd like to try it.

You need to put the lead towards the front so it will swim forward. I put the fins into the lead hole for a couple reasons. The first is because it is easier to make the slot where the wood is thinner. And the second reason is the lead helps to keep them in place(same as the line tie). Unless you know exactly where to put the line tie all you need is one, but it is better to have multiple so you can fine tune how it swims.