• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing and watching tip ups out of a vehicle

BigWadeS

I have never heard that you have to have a shelter tag and have been checked while fishing out of the vehicle. But that probably would be one of those 'grey' areas. Otherwise, reasonable distance can not exceed 200 feet. And remember, if you place one tip up 200 ft away and the other 200 ft in the opposite direction you'll be 400 ft away while tending to one tip up. So, don't exceed 100 ft in any direction from home base and you'll be fine. At least that is my understanding.

I have fished in my vehicle watching my rods sitting outside too many times to count and never had a shelter license?? I have been checked by the DNR as well and they said nothing about needing a shelter tag.

Why would someone need a shelter tag for their vehicle? If it's true and you do need one, that's just dumb! I could see if you were actually "fishing in" your vehicle, but you're just sitting in it to stay warm, then getting out and fishing. I don't think I have ever seen anything related to this in the Fishing Regulations either, but again that doesn't mean it's not true.

Can someone clarify this? Is it for real?

As for the fishing part. I have never used tip up's while sitting in my vehicle, but have done it with rods sitting in rod holders many times. Up till a few years ago, that's all I did. It works just fine, but when it's cold the holes freeze over and you have to constantly clean them. Plus the reels get all iced up, your fingers freeze, etc, etc. But if your using tip up's it might be easier than using a rod and reel. It is fun though to see how fast you can make it to your rod before the fish gets off or take it down the hole!!

You do not need a shelter license to watch tipups from your vehicle. I wondered the same thing a couple years ago and sent an email to the DNR asking the question. They responded saying no, as long as your vehicle has valid plates you do not need to double license it as a shelter. I laminated a copy of that email and keep it in the glove box of my vehicle at all times.

The DNR also explained that shelters are licensed as such because you are fishing out the bottom of them, so unless you are fishing through holes in the floor of your truck, you don't need a shelter license for it.

If anyone is still worried about the situation just email the DNR (they should respond within a day) and keep proof of your question and their response with you when fishing. smile.gif

Not this again........If you really want to know contact the DNR. Please DO NOT specualte online and mislead people.

Leave teh is it a shelter or trailer discussion alone. Its been mulled many times. If you're fishing out of it its a shelter and needs a tag. Just because its a licensed trailer too doesn't change anything. Is $16 really too much money for people? I can spend that in bait the first two times I go out.

The point of a shelter tag is to license fish houses, not something providing shelter from the elements. If I bring a tarp on the ice and use it to block wind or elements it doesn't need a tag just cause its providing shelter.

Quote:

Not this again........If you really want to know contact the DNR. Please DO NOT specualte online and mislead people.

Leave teh is it a shelter or trailer discussion alone. Its been mulled many times. If you're fishing out of it its a shelter and needs a tag. Just because its a licensed

trailer too doesn't change anything. Is $16 really too much money for people? I can spend that in bait the first two times I go out.

The point of a shelter tag is to license fish houses, not something providing shelter from the elements. If I bring a tarp on the ice and use it to block wind or elements it doesn't need a tag just cause its providing shelter.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but I wasn't speculating, I HAVE contacted the DNR as you said. I was just relaying what they told me.

Quote:

Otherwise, reasonable distance can not exceed 200 feet. And remember, if you place one tip up 200 ft away and the other 200 ft in the opposite direction you'll be 400 ft away while tending to one tip up. So, don't exceed 100 ft in any direction from home base and you'll be fine. At least that is my understanding.

Whoa, Nellie!

I use Strike Sensors on my tip-up, and the signal will reliably travel over 400 feet. I don't usually set up more than one tip up, but if I did set up two of them, I could argue that I was in control of two tip ups 400 feet apart...

My understanding is this is legal in Wisconsin, where Strike Sensors were developed. Probably never been a dispute in Minnesota?

Quote:

I don't usually set up more than one tip up, but if I did set up two of them, I could argue that I was in control of two tip ups 400 feet apart...

My understanding is this is legal in Wisconsin, where Strike Sensors were developed. Probably never been a dispute in Minnesota?

In Minnesota, you would be too far away and I would place money this wouldn't be acceptable. Just because the technology is available doesn't make it legal to be too far from your lines.

Well the law says 200 ft, doesn't really matter if you have a StrikeSensor or not.

I never fish 2 flags, always jig one rod or have a rattle reel in the house so I do not have much of a problem.

Sorry to steal the post but a tip I learned from my uncles when they fish with a few friends in differnt permanents but right by each other (10 yds or so tops), they put out a tip up with a strike sensor and have a rattle reel down in each of there own houses, then they put a baby moniter in the house, the reciving end, and take the listening end with them, DNR has checked them and just laughed at the ingenious idea and said it is perfectly legal as long as proper legal distance is maintained.

That wasn't directed at you ER. You did the right thing. Although I find FM.com to be a great resource for a wealth of info, legal questions come up frequently and there is only one right way to get the answer. I would hate for someone to get a ticket after I gave them information that directed them otherwise.

Here is what I just got back from the DNR and it will be in my tackle box as well but, I gave them two scenerios and here it is:

Hello,

I am wondering if it is legal to ice fish out of a vehicle. My two scenerios would be setting up tip-up's and watching them from the inside of the vehicle and the other would be sitting on a tailgate of a pick up or sitting on the back of an SUV with the hatch up?

The answer is:

Yes, both of those scenarios are legal.

Suellen Rau, Supervisor

Information Center

MN Department of Natural Resources

So You need to have current "TABS" on Your vehicle and a shelter tag too (Minn only),,,I dont think its fair ,,but ignorance for the law is no excuse ,,,If I were to fish out of my truck I would use 2 tip ups and forego the rod ,,but thats just Me

Randoid