• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Tacos

Does anyone have a recipe for preparing fish tacos that they have had success with? I've done some web research, but was curious of what the real experts say. I prefer w/ battered walleye pieces, if anyone could share a recipe, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Coach Dog

I am not sure, as I have never used battered fish for it. I have always used fillets cooked on a flat top griddle or in a skillet with red-fish/blackened seasoning. Sounds interesting and I bet it would add a nice texture to it. I hope others have better informaton then mine

my wife's version of fish tacos is breaded fish, fried and served in a tortilla with lettuce cheese and tomato.

my version is the baja/surfer style taco. fresh tuna chunks seared and served with limes, pico, cilantro, and hot sauce on a fresh tortilla. mahimahi, marlin, or any other fresh catch are good as well. The fish is usually prepared blackened style with lots of pepper and cumin.

I often make Crappie tacos.

I have fried and baked them (fried taste a little better, but baked are good too)

I just set up an egg wash (seasoned flour/egg/bread crumbs). Fry them...

Wrap them in a soft taco with some cheese, cilantro, lime, coleslaw mix (gives a nice crunch) and I make a salsa/tarter sauce (basically mix tarter with salsa).

VERY GOOD (good for you too if you bake)

Campfire Tacos.............

Get some aluminum foil your going to make a campfire cooking package.

Put some salsa on the foil lay the fish on the salsa.

Sprinkle lime or lemon juice on the fish.

Close up the package and bake on the coals.

Scoop the fish and salsa on some heated soft taco shells with a little shredded cheese.

heres one we like

SLAW

1- 16oz bag shredded cabbage

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

3 T lime juice

2 T vegetable oil

1/4 t chili flakes

1/2 t salt

SAUCE

2 T canned chipotle peppers

1 cup real mayo

1/4 cup sweet pickle relish w a little juice

1/4 cup onion

blend until smooth

FISH

deep fat fry the fish fillets as you normally would

use any coating you like

(we like cracker crumb coating/fine cracker crumb, garlic powder, salt, paprika)

warm up corn tortillas

put a fish fillet in a torilla, top w/ slaw and sauce

ENJOY

here you go. I got this straight from Kris Winkelman herself.

Fish Taco’s GF 0703

Sauce

¼ Cup Mayo

¼ Cup Sour Cream

Dash Cayenne Pepper

Splash Lime Juice (fresh)

In large bowl combine all ingredients. Set aside. Salt and pepper to taste.

¼ Small Red Cabbage (thinly sliced)

3 Green Onions (sliced)

½ Cup Cilantro Leaves (chopped)

2 White Fish (Walleye, Crappie, etc.) About 1 pound filets and cut in to strips

8 Flour Tortillas

Cheese for Garnish

Olive Oil

1 Cup Babe Winkelman’s Fish and Game Breading Mix

Salt and Pepper to Taste

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil. In a shallow dish dredge fish fillets in Babe’s Fish and Game Batter, add salt and pepper to taste. Fry on both sides until golden brown (also could be deep-fried). Hold 1 flour tortilla with tongs over open flame waving side to side until both sides are brown. Place fish strips into tortillas, then put sauce, cabbage, onions, cilantro and cheese to garnish.

Fish Quesadillas (Crappie, White Fish)

Shredded Cheese

Diced Green Onions

1 Pound Cooked Fish (crumbled)

1 Small Can Diced Green Chilies

2 Tablespoons Cilantro (chopped)

Flour Tortillas

2 Teaspoon Butter

Sauce:

½ Cup Sour Cream

½ Teaspoon Cumin

½ Teaspoon Chili Powder

Combine together and mix well!

Place 2 teaspoons butter into saucepan and melt, place tortilla in bottom of pan, place cheese, onion, green chilies, fish and cilantro on tortilla, fold in half and brown on both sides. Serve with sauce and garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of cilantro.

grin.gif