• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turtle Portage on LOW

I've never crossed from Sabaskong into Whitefish (or vice versa) and I'm wondering if the portage will work for us. We'll have two Skeeters on the trip I'm planning- an 18' and a 19'. Rumor has it the old gear there wouldn't have handled our boats very well. However, I've heard there's new gear there and that it might go fine with the two boats mentioned. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Scoot, I cannot confirm or deny the new gear, although I've heard no mention of new gear. I can tell you my buddy took his 20' Lund Alaskan over a few times, no problem. Low water doesn't help.

I always tell people to cross it earlier in the day, in case you can't get across, you are 20 miles from Sioux Narrows hotel.

I was at the portage last summer. Water levels were really low which didn't help at all. We have a 17' Crestliner Phantom and have brought it over about once/year for the last quite a few years and it has worked fine. The big crank wheel is still there. We did not portage the boat last year though, we were just showing some guests the portage. But, two of us usually take turns cranking the boat over the portage and my arms still burn like $%*@ afterward. Definately worth the effort once you're cruising around in 80' of crystal clear water. I love it up there.

Yep, the wheel is still there. I strongly recommend taking a come-a-long, or the like along. We attached the hook to the boat eye and helped it along, it tune w/cranking the wheel. It was still an arm-burner.

I wish they'd go back to the doors. I know people left them open in the past, however, they could be made to where one door opens and the other shuts.

As mentioned everything is the same at the portage. Havent heard of any improvements coming to the portage. I think you can get a couple Skeeters over the portage with no problems. Just gotta be careful when going in there when the water is low on the Turtle lake side that is. Brian