• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-8 problem

calli4120

I posted this in the equipment forum yesterday but figured I'd get a better response here.

I have an older Vexilar FL-8 and on a recent trip, all of the colors except the red went out. It still reads fish and the bottom correctly but everything is in red.

I sent an e-mail to vexilar support but haven't gotten a response back yet.

I know that bad batteries can cause issues but I don't think that is the case with mine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Have you actually replaced the battery? My dad had all sorts of problems which were all cured by giving it new juice. Even though a meter might tell you that it is decent, I would spend the $15 bucks to get a new one before digging into it.

Worst case scenerio...You have a brand new battery for future use. Best case scenerio.....your problem is solved.

CA

I haven't actually replaced the battery yet but it did test fine with a meter.

I'll pick up a new battery tomorrow and try it since I got the same suggestion from the Vexilar repair department.

Thanks for the help, you guys are the best.

Adam

That one is a little strange. I would suggest that you take your FL-8 into a sporting goods store that sells Vexilars and first try a new battery, then maybe a new transducer and etc. This would be a quick way of narrowing down the issue. Be patient, Vexilar tech support is normally pretty good about getting back with you. Good luck!

Fully charged battery will read about 12.65 to 12.75 Volts. If it read 12 volts it is fried. Another thing about testing battery voltage you want to do it a day after you charge it. If you test it as soon as you charge it chances are you will read arount 13.5 Volts.

mine does it whenn the battery is dead, all a bad transducer did was show just 1/2 inch of red at the top. i use mine on my truck battery often when its dead, you could just try that vs buying a new bat. to test it

Well, I replaced the battery and the Vex still only displays red. I checked the power cable for damage and there is nothing. I'll have to bring it in to vexilar for service.

Thanks to all who replied.

Adam

I made a stop at Vexilar on the way home to drop off my FL-8. They took it right back to the tech bench and started working on it. 30 Minutes later, I walked out with a totally overhauled FL-8. The customer service was awesome.

Vexilar earned a life long customer today!

Quote:

What was the problem with your unit?

1 of my brushes just worn out and broke. I found out that my FL-8 was built in 1990 so 17 years of use is pretty good.

Beside the replacement brushes, I had them do some extra preventative maintainence. I need this old Vex to last for awhile since my FL-18 was stolen.