• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You just never know

colonel42

Up on an Iron Range lake just east of Hibbing maybe four mile out of town there is a little lake called Carie Lake (Doupont) Well, Hibbing sponcers a Winter Frolic Ice fishing tournement every year. Mostly for the kids. Fish caught are crappie, northern, and bluegill. You know the type pretty small. This lake is a recreational lake mainly for swimming, CC skiing, hiking trails etc... This last weekend at the contest a guy and his buddy entered and were pretty luck. First in the northern class with a 6 lber then topped it off with a first in the walleye class with a "get this" 11lb-6oz hog. Holy buckets. The two took home a six person fishing trip to LOW and also a new fish auger. Just goes to show you that you never know where or when the BIG hog is going to come from. Just for giggles I told my Dad that after reading the newspaper on Sunday AM I bet the landing looks like one on Red Lake when they know the slabs are biting. Pretty cool hey!!!!

Did they check people before they went on the ice? Seems to me this happened a couple of years ago on Forest Lake it is was determined the two Gentlemen that won smuggled the fish in in their waders. I hope they won fair and square just sounds fishey to me.

I am very familiar with that lake and I must say that I am truly surprised that first, any walleye would survive to that size and second that the DNR would waste taxpayer's money stocking it with walleye. This is a very small and shallow pool at best. I would expect a lake like this to be more likely holding plenty of palm-sized panfish, bass, and northern pike but walleyes would be a rare thing indeed. Not saying it isn't possible but it seems a bit far fetched.

Bob

Its funny how lakes that are not known for big fish usually seam to hold a couple that are just monsters. I don't know the lake but it doesn't surprise me at all. Its usually the local lake that is used heavily for recreation in the summer that will grow a few pigs.

Once you have been involved with the other end of a contest you would never believe the dump some people will pull to win a new truck you would think that a fish's main diet consists of sinkers and they come right out of the water frozen. See our Somerset WI. contest at the misc forums/tournaments link.

i know this lake quite well and have never caught a wallyeye there, not to be a negetive person about this, but a walleye of that size is kinda un herd of, the lake is only about 13ft deep max and is very small, the northern coudl be ligit i have caught a few about that size there, but for the most part its kninda a dead sea and mostly recreation like said before, i hope that is was ligit i hat to see people cheat to win stuff

hanson, you had one of them big ones in your parents lake. miller c/r it, when my cousin got it broke his roten stringer, and when the lake winterkilled last time me and your brother found it bloted on shore in the spring along withe every other fish. eye was 8+. morel of the story, small shalow lakes grow big eye's fast.

Quote:

hanson, you had one of them big ones in your parents lake. miller c/r it, when my cousin got it broke his roten stringer, and when the lake winterkilled last time me and your brother found it bloted on shore in the spring along withe every other fish. eye was 8+. morel of the story, small shalow lakes grow big eye's fast.

Joel- Don't remind me of that spring. I have never seen so many 6lb + walleyes washed up dead on shore from a winterkill. That was a sad day!

just because the lake is shallow doesnt mean it doesnt have big fish in it. i moved here from South Dakota 2 years ago and all the lakes there are 20 or even shallower than 15 feet deep and it seems like they all have way more monster walleyes than the big deep lakes. same thing goes with the perch there theres lots of sloughs there that are no bigger than 60/70 acres and hold 13/15 inchers and most are only 6/7 feet deep. one of my favorite lakes there was pelican lake near watertown it was only 6 feet deep max and considerable sized lake every time you pulled up a walleye it be at least 4 to 5 pounds and every year theres a couple 10 pounders pulled out of there. also the last time the lake was stocked was in '97.