• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-5, too much power?

DooWap

I just bought the MarCum LX-5 and was taking it out of the box and goofing around with it at home and turned it on. Immediately you could tell this thing had some juice just listening to the sound bouncing off the walls from the transducer. However my buddy said he could feel it when I pointed it at him. If he can feel it, can't the fish too? I wonder if this thing is over powered and might hurt me instead of help.

Guaranteed it will not hurt you more than help!!!

I've fished with an X-5 for two years now, and it outperforms any other unit I've ever used.

Fished this weekend in about 11 FOW, right over the top of crappies and walleyes, and we did very well. The fish showed no aversion to the signal and hung out in the cone for minutes at a time. I've even fished shallow backwaters areas with finicky panfish and had no problems. Step on the ice too loudly and they bolt, but they've never steered away from the sonar cone.

I know what you mean about the signal bouncing around and the tapping sound you get when it's out of water, however, and you're right, it's testament to the power this unit has. From my experiences though, it will greatly aid in helping you catch MORE fish, not cost you any.

Joel

crappie_rs.JPG

I've logged a TON of hours on my LX-5, and this is my second season using one. I also had it on the bow of the boat all summer....definitely does not affect the fish in my experience.

It will help you, and you will enjoy this flasher. grin.gif

LOL @ crappie kid...

I have had a few times when I have dropped my LX-5 in a hole and had the fish all slowly swim away and wondered if it was from my LX-5.. but then I had the same thing happen with my Vex as well... For me, I am willing to put up with a few fish possibly being spooked to catch more fish because I know where they are.

smile.gif

Was ouit this morning, with LX5, FL20, and Aquaview (not all mine!) and we caught a crapload of perch. The perch weren't scared by any of the locators or camera. Didn't see any walleye... so either they weren't there or they were scared wink.gif I am a genius, huh?

But we saw just as many perch under the LX5 as we did on the FL20, and we used camera to verify. Man, were they thick, but small.

Also, neither locator had problems with interference, and we were in 20 FOW ina 6x9 house. We both hit the IR button a couple times to make the screens nice and perfectly clear. I am still learning my LX5, and got a lot better today with the camera to verifiy things for me.