• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just got my honda generator!!!! Any advice??

Ryan_V

Question

Just got my new honda 2000!!!!! any tips, suggestions, tricks, inside information such as what octane gas to burn, type of oil that's best for the weather, regular vs synthetic...... 5-30 now or 10-30 all year...., etc that might be helpful??? had to sacrifice alot, but hope it'll be worth it!! just looking for some tips from you guys that use these!!

8 answers to this question

I would only use fuel with no alahol in it, add seafoam in the recomended amount. reason for no al. is when the gen. sets al. eveporates out of the carb and plugs the jet. I had this happen twice on mine.

it just got here!!! do you guys run 5-30 in the winter?? looks like the owners manual says 10-30 is good down to about 0 or so. also, how many of you run synthetic?? also, how high of an octane do you run??? manual says over 86, is higher better or not?? thanks!!

I always ran 10w30 in mine. I also always filled up with the NON-oxygenated gas (no ethanol) available at certain gas stations. Also, I always added stabilizer to the fuel since I never knew how long it would be between times that I used the generator. I changed the oil once or twice per year depending on usage. Make sure you clean out the air filter also, very easy to do, just go through the manual. Use a quality oil, like Valvoline, stay away from the cheap stuff. Remember to keep the unit dry, and make sure it has decent ventilation wherever it's running. They'll run forever if you do the routine maintenance.

Quote:

I'd think all that would be covered in the Owner's Manual.

I've owned various Honda products before and I can tell you their engineers are a sharp group of people. Read your owner's manual and don't listen to people who tell you to do different things than what the manual says. Replace components at the specified intervals and run the types of oils, fluids, and fuels that are specified in the manual.