• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Furnace filters..Dryer piping!!

Bobby Bass

Everyone knows you should check your furnace filters at least once a month during the heating season but who checks there clothes dryer piping? Wife was complaining about drying time and I just nodded till I had to do a load. Checking the piping it was restricted by lint and then realized I had not cleaned it since I replaced the dryer last year. Needless to say I replaced the piping and the dryer is back to normal again. Besides being a fire hazard it is much more cost efficient having it clean. Have you checked yours lately?? [better to fix it now then lose a day on the water this summer]

I clean my dryer vent out at least once a year. I just unhook it at the dryer and stick my leaf blower in there for a minute and boy does the lint come flying out .Remember if you have the expandable foil vent cut short as possible to help prevent lint build up and try to eliminate turns.

I like to take the front off of the dryer and vaccuum out all the lint at least once a year as well. The vent is very short on mine - only about 6 inches, so I pull it away from the wall, and can reach through with my vaccuum there as well. If at all possible, go with smooth piping, so there will be fewer places for the lint to build up.

Very good topic, Bobby Bass. I have an electric dryer, one day my wife said...Do you smell something???

Dryer was on fire. I will never leave the house with the dryer on again!

I would always leave with the dryer on, in the past...

Lint build up on the heating coils, electric connections, motor, and belts. I take the vacuum out with the hose and clean it thoroughly every 4 months (I put it on the calender as it is easy to forget).

It sounds silly, but It is a very serious hazzard.

(The drum on a dryer has a thin seal between the cabinet and I have found socks and dryer sheets right by the heating element).

The piping/venting is also a point of concern. Keep it clear and check the outside outlet/vent/luvors.

Another thing to keep in mind is, if the vent is running through a "cold area", like an attic, moisture will build up and cause problems with lint sticking to the vent walls. On a side note, it also happens with bathroom vents (the ones you turn on when you shower).

If running a heated (dryer/bathroom) vent through a cold area, use insulated duct.

river-rat4