• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Sheds yet???

I have never heard something so ridiculous! It would be like needing a license to look for agates or something. Put your 50 bucks on it, and ill take 10 for talking you into the bet, haha. This lady is either really gullable or is confused. It doesnt even make sense! I dont even know what to think of it, I just wanna find this lady and bet her the 50 before you do!

Shedfreak32

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont have other things to worry about, or anything better to make a fee for? Looking for shed antlers? I mean come on. And how would they enforce it? They find you walking in the woods, more than likely empty handed and ask to see your shed license? What proof would they have you are even looking for them, unless you happen to have one in your hand? Seems like you can just say your out for a walk enjoying the beautiful day! I wouldnt put it past them though for passing a law so stupid. Did you know that in Texas it is illegal to take more than 3 sips of beer in a row while standing up?! Theres your proof right there!

SHEDFREAK32

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

SHED HUNTERS, BE AWARE OF NEW RULES PDF | Print | E-mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daily Herald

With spring just around the corner, it's an exciting time for those who enjoy gathering the antlers and horns shed by big game animals each year.

As you're having fun searching for antlers and horns this spring, please remember that there are regulations you must follow regarding possessing such items.

Also, remember to give the big game animals you encounter plenty of space, and don't take off-highway vehicles off designated roads and trails.

Taking OHVs off of roads and trails can cause serious damage to the habitat that big game animals and other wildlife and fish rely on.

According to a recent report issued by Mark Hadley, of Utah's Divison of Wildlife Resources, shed hunters need to be aware of the rules.

New this year in Utah, there is a shed antler gathering season. This season applies to Northern Utah only.

You may not gather shed antlers in the DWR's Northern Region from Feb. 1 through April 30. This closure was put in place to prevent big game animals from being harassed during the time of year when they're in their poorest health because of the stress of a long winter.

In addition to the closure in the Northern Region, the Utah Wildlife Board has directed the Division of Wildlife Resources to study the effects antler gathering is having on big game animals across Utah. Board members want to learn if a shed antler gathering season should be implemented statewide.

According to Utah law, a person may possess antlers or horns from legally taken animals, as well as "shed" antlers and horns.

A shed antler or horn is one that has dropped from a big game animal (a moose, elk, deer or pronghorn antelope) as part of its life cycle.

Shed antlers have a rounded base, commonly called a button or burr. The horns shed by pronghorn antelope are a hollow sheath. (Pronghorn are the only big game animals that shed their horns.)

A deer sheds its antlers during February and March. Elk shed later than deer and at higher elevations.

Shed antlers and horns may be possessed at any time. There are no restrictions on their barter, trade or sale.

In contrast, antlers or horns that are attached to a skull plate must have been taken legally or purchased from someone who took the animal legally.

The person who buys antlers or horns attached to a skull plate must keep a transaction record. The record must include the name and address of the hunter the antlers or horns were purchased from, the hunter's permit number and the date of purchase or sale.

Antlers, horns and heads of legally taken animals may be purchased or sold only between Feb. 15 and July 31 annually.

After a long winter, the energy reserves that big game animals have are already low. Those reserves are taxed even more when antler gatherers enter the picture.

Careless shed antler and horn hunters can tip the delicate energy balance, and that can contribute to more big game animals dying this time of the year.

The worst threat to big game animals usually comes from irresponsible OHV use. Off-road travel is illegal and should not be practiced at any time, especially when gathering antlers.

The DWR has received reports of OHV riders chasing deer and elk through trees to knock off their antlers. This practice is extremely damaging and illegal. Anyone caught harassing wildlife will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

When you're collecting shed antlers and horns, please pay attention to the body language of the animals you see. If they appear to be nervous or begin to move away, give them more space by backing off or traveling in another direction.

Shed gathering can be a great family outing. Please remember the following as you gather shed antlers and horns this year:

Avoid picking up antlers that are attached to a skull plate. Instead, mark the area and contact your local DWR conservation officer.

Respect the space and needs of wintering big game. Give them lots of room.

Don't take OHVs off designated roads and trails. In addition to causing animals to flee, taking OHVs off-road can cause serious damage to the animals' habitat.

Good luck and have fun!

Dallas John can be reached at 344-2972 or at [email protected].

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page C2.

That article was of course from utah, but who knows, maybe its coming our way soon. Sounds like there is no license or anything, but a "season" for looking for sheds... hmmm, looking for sheds still seems harmless to me. As long as people are not trespassing or walking around with rifles, whats the big deal? Its simply a hobby and a form of scouting for the next seasons hunt.

Shedfreak32

I know the Sherburne NWR just north of the cities is off-limits this time of year. I would think their is other refuge areas in MN off-limits as well. The off-limit time allows the land and animals in a critical time to exist with-out humans for a little while. Not such a terrible idea. Especially critical for the deer fawning now or very soon.

But walking fence lines, back yards near feeders, food plot areas, etc....I don't see much harm in that. Good luck!

I know some people use them as income, but people use other things for income as well. I know antlers can fetch a pretty good profit compared to some of them. But people sell agates that they can go down to the lake and find. Maybe i am just bias because i enjoy shed hunting so much. There are only a select group that profit from them. To most people, like myself, its a hobby. I can see a season in the works though. I would not mind paying for a license because I enjoy it, just like i enjoy hunting and fishing and you need a license for that. I just see problems with them enforcing the rule if it was ever made.

I am not a shed hunter, but would like to become one soon. Anyway, I don't quite understand the "push to regulate" a shed season. We are already lacking the amount of Conservation Officers to patrol our waters and woods. If we start sending them into the woods in March to check shed hunters, they will miss checking those on area lakes with too many panfish. The officials in Utah say it has an effect on the wildlife. That is true, but so do developments, removing of fencelines in farm country and regulating water flow in rivers in lakes. The bottom line for me is that shed hunters(like I said before I am not one) are just picking up what has been left behind. They aren't "harvesting" anything. If the state wants a piece of the pie they should mandate all those who buy and sell sheds (aka Shed Dealers) to meet a requirement and have a permit or license to make money off of them and charge the normal sales tax on all transactions. Until shed hunters start destroying our woods leave them alone. A lot more negative things are happening to our woods during Deer season than shed hunting. Just my 2 cents. Best of lucking with whatever is left of shed season!! Keep those pics coming!

mad.gif They cant keep me from going for a walk. If the state wants to profit from sheds, TELL THEM TO TAKE A HIKE!!! Literally... well see how profitable they find it then. If I figure out the dollars/per/hour on my 500+ sheds, I think id make about 10 cents and hour! crazy.gif Ive never bought one, never sold one, and Ill be darned if I have to PAY to walk around in 3 feet of snow to pick up one of natures treasures that would otherwise be chewed up and forgotten! wink.gif If it happens they'll never be able to enforce it!

Does anyone ever hit the State and Federal Managements after they start burning them its hard to find any clean sheds but is very perductive. Its something to look at when you think the season is over

Quote:

mad.gif
They cant keep me from going for a walk. If the state wants to profit from sheds, TELL THEM TO TAKE A HIKE!!! Literally... well see how profitable they find it then. If I figure out the dollars/per/hour on my 500+ sheds, I think id make about 10 cents and hour!
crazy.gif
Ive never bought one, never sold one, and Ill be darned if I have to PAY to walk around in 3 feet of snow to pick up one of natures treasures that would otherwise be chewed up and forgotten!
wink.gif
If it happens they'll never be able to enforce it!

Exactly! Prove that I'm shed hunting - I'm on a walk. I just happened to find this piece of bone on the ground - prove that I'm actually shed hunting. That Utah law is (Contact Us Please). Just restrict the use of off road vehicals in that area during that time frame instead of restricting shed hunting. Good grief what is next........

"this just in - the state legislature is looking at ways to restrict and make you get a permit to take a [PoorWordUsage] in your own backyard due to increased PH levels in the soil from years of men being men". grin.gif

Wow that is a nice matched set. Its nice when they lay so close to one another. Thats the only time i seem to find them Up until today i found 22 sheds this year, 2 were matches and they were both right on top of one another. I found a mid size 4 point 2 days ago on state land and went out looking for the other half this afternoon. It took me 45 minutes once i got to the spot i found the 1st side. It was about 200 yards away from where i found the first one. I was pretty happy though, First set i have found that were not within sight of one another, and also it was 2 days apart. I also found a REAl small 2 point shed my first day out there on May 2. The matched set had no chew marks and still had the skin on the base, coulda been a recent drop! crazy. These were found on the state land on Ugstad road, I cant remember the name of the trail there where you park, but all were found not too far from the parking area.

Picture3-2007427.jpg

Picture3-2007428.jpg

Picture3-2007431.jpg

Picture3-2007430.jpg

SHEDFREAK32

Man you really are a shedfreak !! I quit when the steelhead fishing started getting good but now I might have to go give it another shot grin.gif Nice find

Hey guys, after a slight drought, i am amazingly back on track.. in MAY. Up until may 2 i had never found a shed in may, i have in june, september and november but never may. I went out this afternoon again to a new spot, still of of skyline but somewhere i had not walked yet this year. I found the first one next to a pile of deer bones. I walked over to the bones simply looking to see the skull, well as i walked up, sure enough a shed antler literally on top of another deer's bones!! Sadly though about a quarter mile away i found some more bones, and this skull was that of a buck. HOwever the deer had already shed its antlers before it died. The shed I found actually fit onto the deers skull, I wish i had my camera along! Anyways , about a half hour later and after a close encounter with a skunk, I found a decent size 4 point, I didnt look very hard for the match, but ill be out there again soon. The color looks so good because it was laying tines down, the back side is pretty white, not too often they fall like that. My tally for May now is 5 and in only 4 times out! 25 for the year!

Picture3-2007433.jpg

Picture3-2007432.jpg

Picture3-2007434.jpg

SHEDFREAK32

Well I have kind of stopped fishing and concentrated on bein gin the woods. Soon I hope to change that though. I spend months and months scouting for deer prior to bow season and prior to shed season. I use a lot of trail cams as well. I was out this afternoon after work looking for the matches I found yesterday when I came upon a newborn fawn, probably less than 24 hours old! Unfortunately the little guy, yep it was a buck fawn, didnt make it. It still had the umbilical cord on it! The entire lenght of the body was only about 12 inches, by FAR the smallest one I have ever come upon. I dont know what happened, premature maybe. I snapped a couple pictures of him, and contemplated getting a mount done, but I need a permit from the DNR to take it to a taxidermist, and I dont have a freezer to put him in until that arrives. It was a neat find, but it would have been better if he had lived.

SHEDFREAK32

Picture3-2007435.jpg

Picture3-2007436.jpg

shed freak, that is an unbelievable find. its cool how many things you have found this spring.

here are our sheds from our deer cabin next to carlton. our group has found 16 in the last 14 months. i know thats not a ton for that length of time, but we are just getting started, here they are, a couple decent ones, only one match though. Picture850.jpg

I have found quite a few interesting things this spring. 16 sheds is a lot. Nice going, its addicting isnt it?! This is actually my first year looking in Duluth. I think my sucess is due to my scouting travel patterns and bedding areas of the bucks during the winter. I used to go shed hunting in southern wisconsin, but only a few times a year. I found 4 my first year and only a couple every year after that. I just didnt put in the effort. I studied up on it this winter because of all the bucks I had seen during the year, big and small. So 25 is a nice number to set the standard to im HOPING. Congrats on your 16 though. Isnt it frustrating not finding the match. I think I have a hard time because I go in the city limits and other people are picking them up. The 3 I have found were pretty exciting. The last one the most because I found them 2 days apart and a quarter mile or so away from one another, any other match I have found was within sight of one another. Keep up the good work though, and keep the post updated with your finds!

SHEDFREAK32

I had more energy after work than I expected and went out for a short walk. It sure is getting green out there in spots. I was fortunate to find a mid size 4 point rack. It doesnt have much for tine length, but the main beam is quite long and looks to be one of those racks that would have the main beams touch. Ill have to get out and find that match to make sure. I also found a dead 3 point buck, but didnt have my camera along to take pics of him. 26 now on the year...how do I keep going.. I honestly do not know When I had 20 at the beginning of May I thought it was for sure my final tally!!

SHEDFREAK32

Picture3-2007437.jpg

Picture3-2007438.jpg

Picture3-2007439.jpg

Great work shed freak.

I had a pretty good wkd. I spent about 2.5 hours looking this wkd at the cabin and found 3 antler. A couple decent ones at that, the cool bonus is that I have pics of both deer from sept. and oct. on my trail camera. I'm going back next wkd with a friend to find the other sides still out their. The bigger buck has 23" main beams and check out the curve at the end of the main beam on the other buck. Pretty cool.

CJ.

Picture305.jpg

Picture307.jpg

Picture875.jpg

Picture873.jpg