• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Sheds yet???

I've walked about 20 hours in the last week with nothing to show but a blister! Saw lots of deer and turkeys, but no sheds. I spoke with a guy who had been hunting the Whitewater management area by Elba, MN and they picked up 14 sheds last Sunday. He showed me an amazingly gnarled up set with tons of little sticker points found out in the swamp grass. Pretty cool!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunted most of the day today and came up with 3 more also. One small 8 point set and a single left side that scores around 65 inches. Squirrels had a time on the big one, chewing every tip some, with the main beam the worst. Bastages!

I just moved back to the area after about a two month leave and was anxious to get out on the prowl. My first day out I found a right side scoring around 58 inches (march 13) It looked to be freshly shed. No chew marks, all the color, and on top of all the new snow. My next day out, march 15th, i found another one 15 minutes inti my walk scoring over 50 inches as well. Not a matched set, but both were 5 point sides. For getting out late, I felt fortunate on my findings. I will be out every night now until the start of May probably. Hopefully, my stomping grounds are not all picked through

I went out shed hunting yesterday during my lunch hour with no luck. BUT I did talk to the land owner and she said right after New Year's her daughter saw a 12 pointer right up to the house. Ugh!!!! that was the deer then that I saw on the last day of the season. So now I'll have to increase my lunch hour visits to find his sheds. This should only get me more pumped for archery season and do my home work.

-mr confused.gif

Well as of the 31st I've found 15 , 1 match set that scores in the 150-160 range you can see me holding them with drew in the "duluth area fishing report forum" under "shed hunting" I'm on the right, also found some impressive 5 sides too and of course a bunch of forkys laugh.gif

MOnks

I saw the pic of you and drew. YOu have some nice ones, and your beating me by one shed! im at 14, (Contact Us Please) this snow, it will probably be a little bit before i get out again but ill do my best to get # 15, do you go in the city limits as well, or do you have some private land where you grow those big racks. I have not matched anything big this year, but I have 4 nice sides that if matched would score in the 140's MAYBE low 150's but they are only from an 8 pointer. Well 2 of them, and 2 are 5 point sides. I think all the big ones are picked up by now, all thats left are the little forkys that get looked over. But who knows, right? Nice pics, gives me some motive to keep out there.

SHEDFREAK32

PS

you arent the guy who has the supposed match from the exhibition buck are you??

Hey shedfreak, I found all mine in the city in March just after that first warm week we had but now I can't even seem to find a forky frown.gif but I know theres still some big ones out there just have to try harder now and look in spots that most people probaly wouldn't even think to look. thats what worked for me last year this late in the season. But no I'm not the one with the ex-rack I wish i was though what a monster!!!! That guy found them right in his yard off ex- Drive, lucky. well keep at it theres still more to be found grin.gif

I find the majority of mine on wooded knolls overlooking a valley where they bed in the brush or, where they have a sunny slope, I'll find them under lone cedars. I also find quite a few in fields or on the edges wherever they travel. I have been looking for 4 years with 7 the 1st year, 1 the second, 9 last year, and 13 so far this season. I am getting better at locating the bedding areas, but mostly just spend more time looking. I probably have 30-40 hours in so far this year. I photograph rubs, scrapes, dead deer carcasses, interesting track patterns, etc. to make it less of a drag when I'm unsuccesful with the horns. On a trip up north this last week to moose shed hunt I found wolf and moose tracks, piles of there droppings along the way, bear rub marking trees, etc. I also photographed wolf tracks in the fresh snow with a coyote following along after, parallel to their tracks. The coyote stayed on top and the wolfs sank through. I also was able to find where 4 wolfs went after a moose for about 1.5 miles before he was able to shake them off in a swamp. Shortly after loosing them in what must have been a close call, he slowed to a walk and took a dump. All of this I was able to find because of shed hunting! I will see if I can add some photos.

%7Boption%7DPicture1015.jpg%7Boption%7D

These are my antlers found so far.

%7Boption%7D2007shedsasof4-1-07.jpg%7Boption%7D

Another pic of one of this years sheds. Found in a cemetary where this bruiser jumped a fence and lost it on the landing. Squirrels had already eaten into all of the points.

Shedhuntingphotosof2007011.jpg

Nice pic, cemetary's can be great spots to find sheds if you can beat the compition there first cool.gif I found two this year on the cemetary by my house, where are you from that shed looks like the match side to 1 found up here in duluth just wondering if it is

So you are the one who beat me to the cemetary!! Is that the one below skyline in Duluth? Thats a nice shed, what 7 points?? I have looked on the other side of skyline across the street from the cemetary, but only once this year, and I found a small 3 point shed. I went out this afternoon, we had some snow melt today so I thought I would go out and look. I found a 4 point shed with a busted g2, but thats # 15 for me now, im tied with ya Kyle! Thats assuming you havent found any since we got this snow. Sounds like we are getting more the next couple days too. When does everyone give in and call it a year for shed hunting? I still think there is a lot to be found, but its getting late in the year, 2nd week of april already! I found some in september and november last year and they were barely chewed on, they were faded but thats about it. I found one of last years shed this year too. Im trying to get to 20 so I plan on not giving up until that happens. And im extremely jealous of that shed in the cemetary!!

SHEDFREAK32