• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger drilling "angled" holes

zachp

I have an older Jiffy model 30 8" auger that i bought from a friend a couple years ago, the auger runs great and drills holes quickly but once we get over 15" of ice i notice the holes i drill will go crooked, the first 10" is straight then it want's to go to one side or another...I don't usually have to apply much pressure and i've watched my brother drill with it and it looks like he is drilling straight but then the bottom foor of the hole will be angled to one side, anyone have a solution?

Check the bottom of the bit and make sure it is not bent. Then take a good flat file and sharpen the point. Then make a trip to your local bait shop and get a chipper blade that is straight. If you but a re-sharpened blade, make sure it is cut straight. A lot of re-sharpened blades are not cut straight and will cause a auger to "walk" to one side as you drill.