• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weird Injuries

The Grebe

Quote:

I don't know whether it's weird or not but I have this yearly ritual where I get a pike head's up to the hole and if he comes off I make a stab at him with my bare hand and lip the booger . I do this once a season and has happened since I can remember .
crazy.gif

I bring my Armored Musky Glove with me on the ice... Works great for pulling fish up through the hole...

Really handy for those stubborn "At the Hole break offs" and of course I thumb Walleye as if they were Large Mouth Bass.

TD

Quote:

How about several bruised tail bones and many of sore elbows on snowless ice...

Yep, that first ice can be slippery. And not very forgiving either. Now you guys know where my FM name comes from. A buddy of mine knocked out his tooth falling on the ice.

hawkeye43,

Did you lose your smell/taste after all this?

My fall was very similar to yours, but, I fell off the footrest of a fourwheeler, landed on the back of my head, I had no idea how long I was out, I was on Rock Lake in Pillager and the paramedics came from Brainerd/Baxter. I had the sheriff, helicopter, and, an ambulance show up. When I woke up I had a EMT in my face, I was then checked out by the EMT, they suggested I be brought in for further testing...I declined, was then tested for alcohol (good thing it happened before noon), and released, I just figured I would hold out,(cost of an ambulance ride). I ended up going to the hospital a couple of hours later. Had a CAT scan, found out I had cracked my skull about 2 inches long. It was a few years ago now. I still have not regained my taste back.

Here's one thats kind of funny and embarresing. My buddy stepped off his atv right into a hole, his foot got wedged really tight. It took a good ten minutes to get him free.Embarresing because we had an audience, His foot was bruised and swollen the next day.

2 years ago I hoofed it all the way to my spot on Buffalo, I got to my spot and slipped and fell, on the way down I put my hand down and all my weight right onto the uncovered hand auger blade. Cut all the way through the fatty part of my hand but missed all the important stuff. Sad thing I was about 3/4 mile from shore by myself with 150lbs worth of sheit to pull back with one hand, up rocks, leaving a trail of blood, then I sat waiting for cars so I could cross the road, to my truck, my pants now all red, me with my hand pressed to my thigh, they slowed down quite a bit and looked at me real funny, then I drove to the hospital and got it all stiched up.

OK- this isn't fishing, and it didn't happen to me, but I heard about it on TV once and thought I'd share, a guy was bowhunting once and fell out of stand- broke his back. Not the worst part-he landed on a fire ant hill and couldn't move, they figured he had hundreds of thousands of bites on him. His wife grew suspicious when he didn't come home that night and called his brother and had him come pick her up to look for him.

Well I just did mine tonight, slipped on the ice and jammed my knee straight down, heard a crunching sound and reached for my knee. Found my kneecap off to the outside. With out thinking I pushed it back in place and was rewarded with sick to your stomach feeling at what I had just done. After a few minutes that went away and there was no pain in the knee. Went home and told the wife, ( a nurse ) will be calling the doc tomorrow for an appointment and looks like an MRI is in my future. Better now then summer I say.

Well some of you sound pretty lucky as to not have had a bad accident yet. im only 20 and i have already had a few bad expirences.

1st- was a small tike excited to go ice fishing with my dad and his buddies. finally got out there and was getting ready to get everything out of the truck i jumped up on the bumper, slipped and banged my head on the bumper. had 7 stiches put in later that day...UFFDA dont want to do that again.

2nd- out messing around on a drainage ditch in town with a buddy of mine and fell completly through the ice. over my head in water BRRRRR good thing we were only a couple blocks from his place, i NEVER want to do that again either.

Quote:

Only a few days into it and although sore and still swollen and a little discolored, it feels one he11 of alot better then it did Friday, thats for sure! Already planning the next therapy session!
grin.gif

Only a little discolored? You got lucky, the whole back side of my leg was purple from my a$$ to my knee!!!

Quote:

OK- this isn't fishing, and it didn't happen to me, but I heard about it on TV once and thought I'd share, a guy was bowhunting once and fell out of stand- broke his back. Not the worst part-he landed on a fire ant hill and couldn't move, they figured he had hundreds of thousands of bites on him. His wife grew suspicious when he didn't come home that night and called his brother and had him come pick her up to look for him.

Speaking of deer stands...

Not quite as bad as that incident, but my uncle's stand broke and when he and part of the stand hit the ground, one of the broken tubes punched a nice 1" hole into the back of his calf. Says the worst part was pulling it out...

While lowering my first ever wheel house, I let go of the winch handle while the house was still about 4" off the ice.

After a violent and uncontrolled rotation of the handle I had a nicely swollen hand that was worthless for setting a hook. Not to mention I had to drink beer with my left hand all weekend.

I have never done it since.

99...yup, thats the way it is now...just took awhile to show up. Still hurts like crazy. I'll give it another week or so to see if there is even a little improvement and if not, I'm thinking of headin to the doc?

Actually, there is quite a bit of info on hamstring injury on the Internet - perhaps you've looked already?

From what I saw in a number of different places, there isn't much to be done unless it's a Grade 3 injury - and then, probably only if something is completely detached.

From one reference...

Grade 3: What does it feel like?

Unable to walk properly without the aid of crutches.

In severe pain.

Bad swelling appear immediately.

A static contraction will be painful and might produce a bulge in the muscle.

Bobbybass sorry to hear, sounds like dislocated knee cap. Daughter had it two years ago in b-ball. Solution, surgery open up, cut tendon pulling knee cap over, then repair tendon that tore on otherside, then come back and repair tendon surgeon had to cut. Hope this isn't your problem. they say once it happens it can happen more often without surgery. Its not mandatory but if active a good idea. Hope not, good luck let us know.

So far so good, It has not come back out yet and swelling is minimal. Of course I have not put any pressure on it ( no kneeling) Have a appointment to get it looked at then we will start the refer to this doc to be followed up by this doc, My son had his knee scoped last fall and we had to jump through the insurance hoops so I think I can expect the same thing here.. Does get me out of some work around the house grin.gif

Another injury I forgot about happend to me when I was in 2nd grade. I was cranking up a boat onto the trailer without the "clicker" on that stops the crank from freespooling backwards. My hand slipped off the crank and it spun backwards and broke my nose and put a big gash in my forehead. I had two black eyes for a couple of days. I had a couple of stiches in my nose too.

Quote:

Another injury I forgot about happend to me when I was in 2nd grade. I was cranking up a boat onto the trailer without the "clicker" on that stops the crank from freespooling backwards. My hand slipped off the crank and it spun backwards and broke my nose and put a big gash in my forehead. I had two black eyes for a couple of days. I had a couple of stiches in my nose too.

My Dad lost his right eye to a bumper jack that way when he was 18. Said it knocked him out cold and he went blind 2 years later. He can still hit a quarter at 100 yards with open sights and he's never "winged" a deer-clean kill every year for 40 years now.

Quote:

OUCH- shocked.gif