• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weird Injuries

The Grebe

Any of you fellas out there ever sustain any kind of weird ice fishing injury?

For the first time in my life, I had something happen to me while ice fishing, that was just plain weird?

Last Fri. my great nephew and I went out ice fishing to a local lake. He just purchased a 49cc Eskimo Barracuda auger with twin blades and wanted to try it out.

We lugged the loaded sled out onto the ice, determined where we were going to fish and proceeded to cut a string of holes, two every 10 yards or so, one for jigging, one for the dead stick.

He cut the first 4 holes and I asked him if I could give it a shot...for the money, that 8" Eskimo looked like the real deal. Well, I grabbed the auger and proceeded to start punching holes.

About the 5th hole, I don't know what happened, but when the blades went through the ice, in the blink of an eye, before I could even let go of the throttle, the auger flights jerked the unit right down to the ice, right up to the powerhead!

In the process, it jerked me forward so fast and so far, I popped a hamstring in the back of my theigh! Sounded like someone snapped a fat crisp carrot in half! Talk about painfull!

It got me to wondering if any other FM'ers ever had any weird, out of place injuries occur while they were ice fishing? Gonna be the schmidts if I have reached the point where I have to start doing stretching excercises before I go out ice fishing! That would suck!

was redrilling some holes one time in a permanent when the auger grabbed the ice really hard and slammed and pinned my hand into the wall. took my buddy aboot 5 minutes to disconnect the powerhead from the auger so we could get my hand free, luckily no broken fingers though.

Grebe,

Mine is pretty similar to yours! My Strikemaster kind of bound up in the ice on Medicine real late season a couple of winters ago. Never happened before so I lift it up and drop it back down the augered hole to finish it---must have been only an inch or so of ice left and I definitely hadn't set my feet yet for it. The auger dropped down and although I stopped it from banging the ice I literally think somebody shot me in the hamstring!!

I'm hopping around on the ice--my son can't figure out what happened, but he is definitely confused by my one footed jumps and language.

Got in the house and I literally have to drop onto the seat and I can't even bend over to grab bait or my second rod in its holder.

That was also the day that we did the Medicine Lake ice cleanup and all I did was drive the truck around and find the garbage as my son had to pick it all up as I couldn't reach the ice unless I laid down!

A couple of nights sleeping in a chair, lots of ice and limping around work for a couple of weeks.

Triple...Yup, sounds about right....I used heat, ice, ace bandages and Advil the first night....thought I was gonna be crippled!

Sat. I dragged my gimpy, swollen leg on an ice fishing trip that a friend and I had been planned for over a month. A few well timed Advil helped make it happen. I didn't want to be a burden.

Went on WebMD when I got home and found out that it is something that with a little care and nothing to streneous, it usually heals on it's own....excercise is good for it, so I chose ice fishing as my therapy. grin.gif

Only a few days into it and although sore and still swollen and a little discolored, it feels one he11 of alot better then it did Friday, thats for sure! Already planning the next therapy session! grin.gif

December fishing crappies on LOW. There was a thin dusting of snow over the ice, enough to where it was fine to walk on, but when the water from drilling holes came up on the ice it turned to a disaster. I just got done drilling a hole and went to take a step to drill another and I found a glare spot that was slick with water and instantly fell to my knees. As it turned out I sprained my knee.

I learned my lesson. Next time I am wearing cleats.

I don't know whether it's weird or not but I have this yearly ritual where I get a pike head's up to the hole and if he comes off I make a stab at him with my bare hand and lip the booger . I do this once a season and has happened since I can remember . crazy.gif

TD

I have a few. I've been nailed by the power auger handle in the leg when the blades became bound in the ice. That's happened a few times and usually leaves a nice bruise. My dad and I used to have a permanent that could be taken apart. Well we had everything loaded in the truck and were working getting the floor chipped out. My dad was pulling on the floor and I had turned around to get a pry bar. When I turned back he was gone. I though I heard a grunt and saw he had slipped underneath with only his head sticking out so he couldn't lift it off himself. He tweaked his back pretty good. Another time I stepped in one of our holes at night when we were packing up. I luckily only twisted my ankle. This didn't happen to me but one of my former coworkers was fishing with his buddies when one of them chopped off his big toe with a chisel.

Some interesting/painful experiences gentlemen. The one I fear and have had bad dreams about is stepping in two ice holes at the same time. blush.gif It would be quite a taint-ed experience.

Not for nothing, I would imagine this to be as bad if not worse then losing a appendage.

Nothing really odd. Been sliced open fairly bad, by gill plates (that stings), stepped into a '10 hole that was covered by snow and tweaked my ankle pretty good one time. And at least once a weekend when we are in the fish house, someone forgets to duck and smacks their head on the door frame.

Had a FEW beers on the ice this weekend and got punched in the mouth during a late night boxing match outside of the cabin. I slipped on the snow/ice and as my head dropped he nailed my mouth and spliting my lip open a bit....does that count? confused.gifgrin.gif

I think I am getting to old for that stuff!! LOL

Three years ago walking off Calhoun after 3 trips carrying stuff off last trip 5 feet from safety my buddy says something, turning to look as Im walking I go a## over teakettle and land on my side.... Woulda been ok but for that pesky mini-mag in my inside pocket in my coat,Cracked 2 ribs!!! Went out and bought ice grippers after I healed.. In 30+ years of fishin only time I remember going down and I crack ribs.. Next season retired mag lite bought petzl,Cant crack ribs with that but SKULL could be an issue!!

Three years ago on the big pond, my brother and I camped out in my 8 X 8 suitcase. It was windy and the ice was slick. Before I could crash in my bunk, I just had to put my auger in the back of the truck. I leaned the auger up on the side of my truck and just as I popped the gate open, the auger blew over towards me, I tried to catch it. Well, my feet slipped out backwards at the same time and the bridge of my nose caught the top lip of the tailgate. A second broken nose, a roll of paper towels, blood eveywhere and a lot of excuses later....I use ice cleats. They work!

3 years ago, I was taking things into the fishhouse from the truck after i got everything in took off my coat to fish. I forgot my phone in the truck so out the door I go, slipped on the ice, down I went and banged my head. When I came to, I was freezing cold, one he!! of a headack. I got in the house, turned up the heat and looked at the clock. When I walked out the door it was 1o:30 just before Letterman, it was 1:30 in the morning when I came too. I was cold so I got in the sleeping bag, couldn't sleep, cause my head hurt so bad and I could not stop. It took almost a day to get back warmed up. 3 days for my head to quit hurting. I think I was very close to not waking up at all. I still get a shiver up my back just thinking about it. I also have chicken grit to throw down on the ice in front of the door. Not a good thing.

A friend, 65, was cutting a hole with his eskimo ice auger. The string from his hooded sweatshirt got caught up in the fly wheel, and as it tightened up he could not get away from the auger. His reflexes were to hold tight, and he did, kept the throttle pinned until the string on the sweatshirt tightened up so much it broke. Looked like you had taken a branding iron to his neck. It wasn't as funny to him as it was to those watching. Once he got over the initial shock and his neck healed up, he joked about it.

couple of weeks ago 5 of us out fishing, my buddy has vex and camera down inside of his otter. he zips the door open from the top down and leaves the bottom foot zipped up. trying to get over the vex, camera and one foot of zipper didn't work so well for him. slipped and caught his toe on the zipper. we watched him come rolling out of the house. partially tore his mcl and has a deep bone bruise on his kneecap. hilarious to watch for the rest of us, pretty bad for him