• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lure advise

lookincalifornia

hey guys i'm gonna try and keep this post open to talk about pros and cons of different lures. rather than start a new thread for every lure question i have. so bare with me. grin.gif

1st off, i love throwing frogs in the slop. hands down, my favorite thing to do. i currently use a snag proof tournament frog. i really like the look of the bronzeye, but the price of manns super frog would alow me to get a few more. what are some of your favorite frogs? why?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this ideal and i be around to always put my .02 in wink.gif

I was a scum frogs guy until i started to use the Bronzeye, It's a sweet frog... You can dance them in place so it keeps it under a tree or in a hole in the slope a little longer for a fish to see. The way the fog is made is a lot better to, the legs don't pull out as fast!!

I use the bronzeye and love them! Like said above you can almost walk them in place. They now have a JR out that is just a touch smaller and it looks like it will also work well when they just won't eat the thing and only slap at it. I was a fan of the scum frog like most on the board, the issue I now have is the hooks. They are so dull on the scum frog that you spend forever getting them sharp or instead you spend the extra money and get Gamakatsu's to start.

I use a 80lb power pro but will most likely switch to 60 lb this year. Bought a big spool of 80 pound for a fishing trip to the amazon and didn't see the sense in buying a spool of 60 for frogs. I am a huge believer in braid and heavy braid at that. The no stretch really helps on hook ups and the heavy pound test helps when you are dragging 10 pounds of weeds along with a two pound largemouth.

i do use 40# fireline, but it is time to re-spool. i like to use a speedclip when i use a braid, but if i get the three more rigs i want, i'll most likely keep one a frog rod.

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with the bronzeye. does anyone think the legs need trimming? they look extra long to me.

I would suggest you use a braided line for frog fishing. I have found it darn near impossible to set the hook while fishing frogs on mono. I feel that mono stretches way too much. I like 40# Super Braid.

I have to agree with Dan on the #40 braid although I use Power Pro but it's just my preference. If you're using mono it will lead to less hooking percentage because of stretch. Mono does have it's place on my frog reel though ... it's the first 75yds of backing so that I don't have to spool the whole darn thing with expensive line. I have a few ideas for homemade frog style rigs for the upcoming year but I'll have to wait to see how they work before I share with the masses.

When fishing frogs, I seem to reach for the Poppin Scum frog.. I hate the hooks on them, so I usually replace the hooks on them with a mustad double hook or the owner ones... I also found you can get them to last longer if you put the rubber o ring like they use to make spinnerbait skirts on the hook so that the face of the frog site up against that rubber o ring. Helps the frog last a few more fish. I usually throw frogs on a 7' MH rod with 50 Power pro.

You guys have the frogs covered down. What other lure do you want to talk about?

Any one see that new blade for Terminator? It's a buzz/spinnerbait. I saw it on a Jimmy Houston show last weekend.

I like throwing my buzz baits in the slop with a 7' flipping stick using 50# Power Pro. Like the backbone of the flipping stick with the length to get me up over the top of mid season reeds. My go to big rig for Bass and Northerns.. My color of choice for Buzzbaits is anything as long as it is white grin.gif

Hey Ebass, I have not.. Got a link for it??? I want to see it.

As far as buzzbaits go i love WHITE, i have also had some good luck with a black and blue color buzzzy. I use a 7'6" MH St croix... I like the longer rob because it helps me set the hook better and have control of the fish when my lure is along ways from the boat. It also helps me keep the lure on top of the water and roll it at a slower speed.

I'm late to the party but instead of throwing frogs last year in slop/ heavy cover I used a plastic jerk bait. I had better luck, it pulls across the top of all the junk but if you hit an open spot it will slowly sink. I found it to be real effective in heavy lily pad beds also in heavy cabbage.

It's on terminators HSOforum. I don't think I'm supposed to post a link. When you go to their site it's the first thing that shows on the page, then a promo takes over flipping between pics. But I couldn't find it in the products. Maybe it's that new? It's called the Hybird blade I think. www dot terminatorlures (Contact Us Please)

crazy!

i can see that being a killer night time bait. tend to be a cheapskate with the spinnerbaits. i get the $1.99 no package ones. i have had some break, but not enough to deter me and make me spend $6 a pop. although, i used a titanium spinnerbait up on head lake in the lilly pads, and it did seem to outfish my cheapos.

i agree with the white buzzbaits, i usually go with some variation of chartruse. tandem willowleaf for most situations.

Quote:

thats kinda
talk
that you cant post
HSOforum
... We are here to learn and you are trying to learn about it!!!!

Hey CB, I am with you on being able to share information.. But do you have any idea how much it costs to run this site?... THe servers to keep it going at a fast pace when there are well over 1000 people viewing it every day every hour of the day. Its our sponsors who pay to advertize on this page. One of the deals they get is to be able to post pictures of thier products, and web links to their pages. Non-sponsor products do not get this. I hope you understand.

I understand that but... We should be able to PM people then. The thing on this HSOforum you can only do some much and its hard to communicate with other because of this!!!! I think you guys should do a vote and let the FM fans vote. We all love this HSOforum but im trying to make it better!!!! wink.gif

I would have to agree. I feel that it would be a nice feather to have when we are PM people. Alot of people i feel would use this feather. Ya the site might be a bit slower, but its going to have another feather that is offered here at FM. grin.gif