• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guides in Missoula

I'm looking for anyone who might know a fishing guide in Missoula. It's not for a while but I'll be traveling out there in early June and we'd like to do a float trip. I lived in Missoula for a couple years and fished all the time although my buddy hasn't gone fly fishing much. If you know of any guides that are good let me know. I'd rather not go through an outfitter unless I have to.

You might try Grizzly Hackle if you are having problems finding other locals. You can find them on the web. I never went on a guided trip, but would stop by the shop to buy the hot-bite flys and talk a bit - they seemed knowledgable. It's across the street from Worden's and next to Charlie's bar...course, that was about 10 years ago.

Sschwarts: I'm not sure I understand your reluctance to use an outfitter? An outfitter might have better insurance than a free-lance guide. An outfitter generally is NOT going to send you out with some wanna be mountain man fishing guide.Outfitters want your business; why would they steer you to a worthless guide? Believe me, there are literally thousands of so-called guides wandering arount MT. I would not WANT to book a trip unless it was through an outfitter who is licensed, has passed requirements and tests and who has insurance, sometimes in addition to the insurance most guides have-or should have.

You may think you are going to save some money. But what you may BUY is a lot of grief.

For what its worth. cool.gif

I agree with the last post. You get what you pay for. It is like hiring a good carpenter to do a job comparred to a half way guy. In the long run a good guide is cheaper than somone else. CAJ

In Montana, outfitters/guides basically fall into the same category, as far as licensing. A guide has to apprentice UNDER a licensed outfitter for a period of time...but if you hire that guide, he is still working for that outfitter.

ANY sporting goods store in Missoula can recommend a good guide/outfitter. With all the competition on the rivers these days, going with a reputable, licensed guide with good equipment and local knowledge is the smart way to go. Those guys dont (normally) hire boneheads, and if your experience is bad, they will (normally) make it right.

Bob Ward in Missoula would be a good place to start your search.

I lived in Missoula for 5 years when I was going to school at the University of Montana, and I would highly recommend you talk to the guys at Kesel's Four Rivers. Extremely knowlegable and friendly staff. These guys fish all the local rivers and know their stuff. Just type in "Kesel's Four Rivers" on Google and you'll find their HSOforum. They have updated fishing reports for all the major rivers. I'm jealous you are heading out to Missoula in June, what a great time of year to visit. Man I miss that place!

Montana Griz,

How longa ago did you live there? I go there about every other month and evry time I go, theres a new mall, center, hotel, car dealer, housing development etc....place is changing like you wouldnt believe...

Oh and I second Kesels