• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Colored Wax Worms

eurolarva

Frankies bait in Chisago had colored wax worms today. I have never seen these before. They come in four flourescent colors and they guarentee they work better then regular wax worms or your money back. Anybody using these yet?

They are likely colored Eurolarvae, are they a bit smaller than waxies?

I have been using the colored Eurolarvae all season, I do believe that it has helped me, as there is a definate difference in bite on different colors, same as jigs. My only gripe about the Eurolarvae is that I can't seem to keep the buggers alive, waxies I used to just keep in a cool place in my home, I have only recently read that you must keep the eurolarvae around 35*

HTH

Josh

as far as I know, they just add a powder to a regular wax worm. They are the same size as they are the same thing!.. the power is a glow powder, wich can at times smell of sulfer. So if you ask me they smell like a fart. I have used them, but have not had any more success on them than any other bait I have used. Thast not to say that I didn't catch fish on them... I did!.. but no way of knowing if I would have done any better or worse on them.

personally, I use the regular waxies... but I too am a sucker for the colored eurolarve... but do just as well on the un-colored ones.. so... go figure.

So they are actually colored waxies? Is the glow powder just a coating on the waxie or is it something that it has ingested like the colored larvae? If its a coating, does it last once it hits the water (and does it actually glow)? Sorry to hijack the post, but I am very curious about these. I use eurolarvae when its a finiky bite, but its nice to have a tin of waxies around too when the bit is a bit stronger (I believe it helps weed out the smaller fish)

Thanks

Josh

Keep the eurolarva in the freezer or fridge and they last at least a couple of weeks. I have left mine in my garage and they were frozen solid then after being in my coat pocket they thaw out and start moving again. These are definitely wax worms. I asked them how come there was not saw dust in the containers and they said the dye gets all over it. These things were huge. I mainly fish euros because they stay on the hook so much better. I just wish I could get them in the summer. I am going out tomorrow and will try a tin of the colored waxies. I think the colors were chartruse, orange, red and green. Not sure. I will try and take a pic if they will let me if I remember the camera.

EuroLarva

I saw them today as well. They are regular waxies that they added the powder to and then shook up. It coated them quite well but I didnt have the guts to get them. They were bright Green, Orange, and Blue. Spooky...Think of the mess on your fingers and the trippy colors in your hole.

if i remember right; there was a discussion on how to color wax worms. i believe the talk was to take some of the shavings/saw dust, and mix it with food coloring, let it dry, then place the wax worms in it. it took a while for the worms to absorb the coloring, but guess it did work.

Quote:

So they are actually colored waxies? Is the glow powder just a coating on the waxie or is it something that it has ingested like the colored larvae?

As far as I know, and if I am wrong I hope someone from a bait shop can correct me.. I think they are regular ole wax worms with a coating on them. I dont think they have ingested anything like Eurolarve.

Brought some of these in one winter when I had my shop. I thought they had ingested the coloring. It was cool, because there were several flourescent colors...just like your demon glow jigs. We displayed them under a black box you could peek into to see the glow. Don't know if they necessarily worked better at catching fish, but they did catch fisherman! You could 'charge' the glow with a tazer..just like the glo-jigs.

I bought some from Frankies bait on Saturday. Pretty much cuz I'm the guy who will try anything if it doesn't break the wallet.

There were not many people involved, but I won the UPL tourney on Chisago Saturday using tiny little teardrops and the colored waxies. So, I guess they worked. I agree with Deitz that they smell like a fart.

I bought some of the orange ones today and they did catch fish. They did not however out produce Eurolarvae by a long shot. The tail wiggle from the Euros seemed to seal the deal with the bigger Bluegills. Here is a pic of the orange ones. Looked like they were dipped in the fake cheese they put on popcorn.

orangewax.jpg

Deitz I wonder if yours had gas. laugh.gif These orange ones dont appear to have any odor. They dont glow in the dark either. Most of the orange stayed on them after 10 minutes in the lake. Wife is already yelling about the orange stains on my bluejeans.

Nice - I don't need anymore sources of fart smells when I'm out fishing with the guys. heh heh!

Now that my head is screwed back on straight, this stuff sounds like zinc sulfide mixed with manganese added. I'd be careful not to breathe it in, ZnS is a lung irritant... just like your buddy's farts. Funny thing is, zinc sulfide glow is radically hampered by water - the smell is a result of water (vapor or liquid) hitting the powder and making H2S, the gas rotten eggs give off.

I was a chemistry major. I'd just use a glow jig, to be honest.

"Thank you, Mr Knowitall!!"