• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-8 SLT HELP!!!

KING

Need some help here. I have had my Vex for quite a few years now and could not fish without it. Problem is my buddy has a Clearwater Classic and it totally bugs out the Vex. Even after flipping through all of the IR settings I can't get a good picture. I have to turn the gain way down to clear most of the clutter, then I lose sight of my lures about 10 feet down. I can still usually pick up the fish but have to guess where the lure is. It works better walleye fishing where I am using larger lures, but crappie fishing in 25 feet with the fish suspending 5-8 feet up is a nightmare. If I reach over and shut his off my screen will instantly clear and everything works great. Any help will be priceless as it my be awhile before we are back on the Big Lake (LOW) with this horrible weather.

Not much you can do about the interference in close quarters. As far as reading those small lures in deep water or when the gain is low, try using a flat-topped or horizontal hanging jigs that will reflect the signal better. Of course, check that the transducer is hanging level or try dropping the transducer farther down the hole to get a better reading (however, this would only increase interference). Also, a banged-up transducer may contain cracks that hinder performance. But, before you spend $60, try attaching someone else’s transducer to your FL-8 and compare the readings.

Move farther away from your buddy. Ok, a little joke there, but that is what I ended up doing this weekend. As Gill mentioned, a banged up transducer bottom will not give you as good as signal, try someone elses transducer on your unit.ScottS

One thing to consider is the output of power the Zercom puts out is way more than the Vexilar. The Zercom's output, if I remember this right, is 1000 watts, and the Vex. is 400 watts. Bottom line is the Zercom is a more powerful unit, and is blowing away your Vex., even with your IR adjustments. Like the others have posted, you need to get a bit more distance from your friends Zercom to rectify your problem.