• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best deal in UL reels?

robbor

I have a Shimano Sahara 750 ($59) and and Shimano Sedona 750 ($49) and both are great reels. It's hard to go wrong with anything by Shimano. I also have a Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 ($29) and for the money it's a nice little reel. Depends on what you want to spend. I've heard the Ticas are nice for ice fishing but I don't know about open water casting, but the next time I get a reel I'm going to look at those. I have a Mitchell Avocet for ice fishing too and I'm not very impressed with it.

For ice fishing, it is really, really hard to beat a Tica Cetus SB500. They run about $35.

Tica also makes the SS500 which runs $50. I've been using both the SB500 & SS500 this winter and I'm not sure if spending the extra 15 bucks to get the SS is worth it.

Some of my SB500s are on their 4th winter now.

For $35, the are really hard to beat.

I'll second the Abu Garcia Cardinal series reels. I have both the 100U and 2 300U's and both are awesome. I also recently purchased a Mitchell 310Xe reel and it works great! I also like the feel of the bail and body. The body is a composite base and doesn't get as cold on the hands as the metal reels.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

I've had good luck with the Tica Cetus GV500, sells for about $25. If you want to talk inexpensive I picked up a Guide Series reel with 10 ball bearings for under $10 yesterday, regular price $19.99. Don't know anything about the reel but thought it was worth a try for the money. Anyone have any experience with these reels?

My new favorite reel is the Okuma Hardstone in the 10 size. BEAUTIFUL ultralight, you can get them for $30. IMHO, a better ice reel than even the Tica's - and that's saying something, because the Tica's are very nice as well.

Quote:

My new favorite reel is the Okuma Hardstone in the 10 size. BEAUTIFUL ultralight, you can get them for $30. IMHO, a better ice reel than even the Tica's - and that's saying something, because the Tica's are very nice as well.

Guess I'm going to have to check that one out Augernaut. I love my Ticas, but I also run an Okuma spinning reel on one of my cattin' rods. I've been very happy with that reel as well. Okuma is a well established company, better known in the saltwater community. So I'm sure they have no problem building a little ultralight spinning reel.

at sportsman warehouse they had the ticas $25 for the GV and sb500 was $35 and the ss500 is only $40.....I have my rods rigged with and sb500 and the ss500 and there is not much if any difference in perfomance......the ticas are very nice easy drag and they don't freeze up very easy, unless covered in ice.

Hanson - I don't think you can go wrong with either brand really, I just like the Okuma's better - not sure, just seem to fit me better?? I have a couple Okuma Avenger AV15's that I use on ice walleye rods and on openwater on my long ultralight rods, and they are very nice reels too.