• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Storage

robbor

Im ready for a new jig box,the lidson my CJ&S boxes are starting to bow, much less the latches and hinges arent long for this world. What do you guys recomend?

I ran across Meiho fly boxes and they are relatively chap as far as fly boxes go. Anybody tried one? Just looking for a small box for mini jigs, ice plastics and a float or 2 that will actually hold up.

Anything Plano. They haven't been around for so long because their product don't last. Or, if you want to take a different route, go to Menards and look at their small tool boxes and organizer boxes. They may be just what you are looking for, just in a different place. Good luck!

The Fox Box is nice, as is the Bug Lugagge from Little Atom Tackle. Both store a pile of jigs and really help keep things organized and safe from abuse. No need to worry about your jigs bouncing against each other all the time and having the paint chip or whatnot. Nifty little boxes...

thanks guys I will take a peek.

My jigs alread bounce around hitting each other, no big deal.

My gripes are crappy latches and the lids bowing, I had a little double sided opaque plano that did that also along with about a dozen stowaways that the latches brok off of and the lids bowed. Im not a diehard plano fan any more.

So a lid that wont bow and a box that if light dropped wont pop open and leave jigs everywhere are my thoughts. Thanks

Don't forget about the "Tackle Pouches". They were made to keep jigs from chipping and basically getting ugly. They fit right into your plano boxes etc. and also your pockets for packing light. They also work great for covering up your jigs or spoons on your rod to keep everything from getting tangled and hooked up. They are found on this site in the store.

Nothing worse than losing a bunch of expensive glow jigs etc because of tackle box abuse.

Bruce Mosher

Matt, for the Fox Box, how big is too big for a jig to not fit? And how many total slots are there? Sounds like a great product with a variety of uses.

As far as paint chipping is concerned, I would think it is a physics problem, as in Force= Mass * Acceleration. It takes some force to chip paint off of jigs. If they are big bulky jigs and you give them a good shake, they get accelerated rapidly and they have a great deal of mass, so boom, you knock some paint off. I would think paint has come a long ways since the early leadheads with the M&M candy coat shell paint jobs.

I've got a bunch of small ice jigs, and the only paint problems I have ever had has been with the huge walleye jigs in my summer boxes. Keep in mind both boxes probably get shaken up equally.

So the solution I propose, at least for ice jigs, is 1) Don't give them too much space (i.e. keep them in small compartments) to limit build up of acceleration or at least keep the compartments full of jigs so there isn't room to slide around and 2) Don't put heavy jigs together. The larger the size, keep fewer together. There is probably a threshold somewhere but it is up to you to find what it is.

I think with small ice flies and jigs for the winter you can get away with a small cheap $2 jig box for your coat pocket. I'm not knocking fly boxes though, because they are handy for being able to see everything and eliminating any chance of jigs rubbing together or striking paint off each other.

I would agree going with the tackle pouches from Todays tackle. I have used them for jig storage and they are GREAT when you leave your jigs on the rod. With the tackle pouches on the lures and wrapped around the rod blank, you can place them in your rod bag and not worry about the tangled mess we have all went through.

Tkae a look here. www.todaystackle.com

The Fox Box holds I believe 136 jigs (don't quote me on that smile.gif). You can fit most panfish jigs from size 8 on down, as well as some that are larger, but you will be taking up more space and might not be able to fit others in there side-by-side.

There is another box from Rose Creek that will hold larger lures like jigging spoons and such. Another excellent option.

I use the Tackle Pouches from Today's Tackle to store my jigging spoons. It's tough to beat and they keep things very organized inside a Plano box...

TacklePouchOrg.JPG

Here's a short video explaining and showing off the Tackle Pouches as well... Tackle Pouches Video

Keeping things organized on the ice can save on a lot of frustration.

I carry my rods in a HT rod bag. One day my lure came unhooked from the eye of the rod. It was a treble hooked lure. Took me about 30 minutes to get it unhooked from the inside of the bag, practically had to cut it out with a knife. So, I bought some Tackle Pouches, and use them like this, and have no more problems! These things are great:

icefishII025.jpg

Quote:

Zamboni, It's good to see you using the Tackle Pouches. They do work great. Many uses for them. Now if we can only get those bobbers off your line and use the Ice Busters! Hmm
smile.gif

Bruce Mosher

I actually had 2 Thills. The paint cracked all off of one of them, and got thrown away- I am thinking of getting Ice Busters, I promise!! Some samples would be GREAT grin.gif