• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

H2O elevation accuracy?

pan-man

Question

I notice this week, while standing still on a lake with great satellite reception, my elevation was constantly changing up and down by 10 feet. Anyone else have this problem? I did notice Lowrance has update for mine (a year old), would that solve my problem?

I would like to use the elevation for topography of land but if the H2O does not work on a lake, how can I use it on land? confused.gif

2 answers to this question

I took a kind 'uv class on GPS's and learned that on modles not certified by the government, the elevation could be off as much as 50' regardless of satalite reception. They just don't have the technology to accuratly give you a elevation. You may get close and more expensive units will be better, but never swear by it.

I'm sure that your horizontal distance "roams" by at least 10' even with good satellite reception and your elevation will too. You need to get into pretty fancy machines with real time correction to really "lock on".

Some machines have a barometer and when calibrated accurately they can get you pretty close on elevation.