• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 Lb. Propane Tanks

wolfman-k

Question

I recently tried to connect a one pounder to my big buddy heater, only to have liquid propane squirt out, and I couldn't get the cylinder to screw onto the connection. Has colemen changed their threading on the one pound tanks? I gave up after three tries, and I usually use a 20 pound tank, but ones are a good back-up. Any one else have a problem with them?

7 answers to this question

For some reason it is real easy to cross thread these. I have had similar problems and the worst is when it is real cold outside and the new propane can is real cold you have to screw it real tight to get a seal. If you do it in a warm room and both the heater and the propane are warm it is not an issue. Make sure you are wearing gloves when you do this. That propane coming out is real cold.

I had this happen to me last year and almost blew myself up from it. It was my first night in my new fish trap voyager and had the propane lantern going, when i went to screw the 1 lb tank into the big buddy heater and start it up I must've had the laces cross threaded and it didn't seal right, before i could loosen it back up propane started leaking all over, then there was a quick flash and the next thing i knew i was jumping out of the fish house and had singed my eyebrows and lashes almost completely off as well as the hair on the front of my forehead, also had some tight skin on my face for a couple days, i consider myself quite lucky it wasn't any worse and i was able to drive home after it. Both my lines that i had down had been burned up from the bobber to the reel and the one line was all the way on the other side of the house about 6 feet away. The lantern was hanging up and about 6 feet away from where i had the heater, i'm assuming the lantern was enough to ignite the flashpoint of the propane, that was the last time i used a 1 lb tank with the buddy heater.

That's scary Zack, good thing you weren't hurt worse! I guess from now on I'll just resort to using my Mr. Heater-cooker as a back-up and forget about using the one-pounders!

Zack, you may want to get some LED lighting, and forget about a lantern! Good luck. wink.gif

Quote:

Has anybody had trouble with 1 lbers leaking when they are removed from the heater? I cannot remove mine till it is empty because it continues to leak out.

I have had this happen a few tiems and just hook it back up to use the most of it next time.

I'm with the others and am trying to not use the 1 lbers any longer. Need to get my led lites out there and I now am using an 11lber with my heater/cooker.