• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plumbing/Drain Mystery

pisces

Ok all you old plumbers out there, is there anyone who can give me some insight into what I,ve got going on here? A). laundry room in basement with laundry tub and floor drain. B).washmachine drains into tub. drain pipe from tub goes into the floor. C). There is a one inch space between the concrete floor slab and the outer wall. If I do more than one load of wash (putting a lot of water down the tub drain) water will come from this space onto the floor. It then runs to the floor drain. No harm there, but I,m worried about mold and about the foundation. Can anyone tell me what I,ve got here?

Do you have a lint trap on the water hose from the washing machine? That lint will plug up a drain in no time or eventually restrict the amount of water going down the drain. They sell wire mesh or plastic mesh that fits over the hose at Cub or home depot.

Is the drain pipe plastic or steel? My guess is it's steel and the pipe is rusted in the floor. when you drain a little water it's being soaked up by the ground around it , till the ground is saturated by the water , then it comes back through the crack in the foundation. Let me know what you find .

I will assume your tub is properly trapped & vented, if it is you have a problem underground. Unfortunately, this will involve busting up of some floor and fixing broken pipes.

Not fun frown.gif

PS. I'm a master plumber in MN, now a plumbing/HVAC inspector in the SW metro.