• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tokina 28-80MM 2.8 fixed

Anyone have any experience with this lense. A local shop has a used, 1 year old for sale. It is heavy and they want $250 for it.

They are willing to go a 30 day return...

Anyone used it or any thoughts. I did a search and the word "soft" cam up a few times. I woudl assume this is an idication the glass may be lower quality??? Again...that is an assumption made with little knowledge. crazy.gif

MM: All zooms are a bit soft compared with primes. It's just the nature of the mechanics of zooms vs fixed focal length lenses.

Many newcomers, or those who don't have a lot of experience, dismiss zooms because they are softer than primes. Fact is, many zooms are sharp enough so top glossy mag photo editors accept images shot with them. Are they are sharp as primes? No. Are they sharp enough for many pro applications? Yes.

It's easy to get caught up in online lens reviews, but a review is only as sophisticated as the person writing it. IMO you're better off with the Tamron you metioned earlier than the Tokina you specified in this thread.

Bite the bullet. Buy. Shoot. Process. Evaluate. Learn.

Quote:

Swimmer said; MNskie: I know nothing about this particular lens, but I do know you can get a new Tamron 28-75 f2.8, which is considered a sharp lens, for about $300.

Quote:

Steve said; IMO you're better off with the Tamron you metioned earlier than the Tokina you specified in this thread.

Bite the bullet. Buy. Shoot. Process. Evaluate. Learn.

I have the Tamron 28-75/2.8 for $300 you will not be disappointed. The only issue with this lens is a back focus problem with some copies. I bought a factory reconditioned lens locally. Allowed me to try them before buying. The first one I grabbed slightly back focused, the second one was dead on. Nice thing about stores, you try before you buy. Swimmer has it and likes it, I don't know what else can be said. I'm with Steve, buy, shoot have fun and avoid the Tokina.