• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good fishing

Made it out for some after dark Crappies tonight. Crappies ran slab size, with the largest fish weighing 1 lb 12 oz. and another coming close at 1 lb 4 oz. Good thing for C&R. Got a bunch of 10-11" fish too.
Also caught a few gills.
PCG

The lakes I primarily fish are in the Aikin and Mille Lacs area. Most of those lakes have walkable ice now, and also have quality fish present.
Happy Iceing
PCG

Did some brunch time fishing today.
Caught 5 fish for supper, and then practiced a little C&R.
Crappies were biting fast on a wax worm and black ratfinkie jig.
Hope everyone has the same success.
PCG

How is the ice on Ann lake north of onamia. I fished there this summer and put it on the list for this winter. Seems like it should have ice because it is a bit shallow. Let me know, thanks

PCG,

I will be up in the area on Dec26th and 27th. Can you list a couple small lakes that should have good ice and will be decent for crappies or walleyes. I am familiar with the area, but not the lakes. Just looking for decent action and C&R fishing only. Thanks.

Be VERY careful on whatever lake you try to get out on.
Toad and I did some fishing North of Park Rapids on Sat. About 6" of good clear ice going out, when we headed in, it was about 4" and honeycombed. Most lakes around Brainerd, as well as Mille Lacs and Aitkin are still wide open, only the smaller ones have ice, but even these are deteriorating fast.
With these warm temps, lakes that were safe yesterday might not be safe tomorrow, so be VERY careful.
>"////=<

Wiz,
If you are coming up this weekend, I advise staying on the small, shallow lakes, as most of these even have some honeycombing and need to be ventured with extreme caution.
The weather seems to have a sense of humor, at it's at our expense(the ice enthusiests).
Try Fleming off cty 5 in the evening, Portage lake off hwy 210 out from the park in evening, or Turner lake in 20 feet just off the access on Hwy 210 as its getting dark for Crappies and Bluegills...These lakes are the best bets for having safe ice this weekend, but just as a reminder...Ice is never safe. Especially with the weather right now the way it is.
Good Luck to you.
PCG

Thanks PCG,

I am not a big fan of thin ice. But with colder temps forecasted, Im hoping we can get some decent ice by mid next week.

by the way...you ever eat at Horseshoe Lake Inn by McGregor? Thats the only place I've been in your neck of the woods and it was quite a treat.

I also was at Minnewawa on Sunday and Monday. There was 3" of water on Sunday so we chose to patronize the local pubs instead of fish. Woke up on Monday a little groggy...the lake had refroze but nobody was fishing. I carefully walked out 15 yards and drilled a hole to check and it was 2". We voted and decided to head home without wetting a line. I guess I can write that trip off as a drill.

Looks like with the colder weather we are recieving, the ice should be as good as last weekend for this weekend.
Crossing my fingers.....We don't ask for much here...Just that the weather would follow a Minnesota trend sometime soon.
I'll update the ice conditions....
PCG