• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Info on Ice Thickness

The American Pulpwood Association has developed a table for judging the relative safety of ice on lakes and streams. This is just a guide; use your own good judgement before going out on any ice. Avoid areas of moving water, including where streams enter the lake, and around spillways and dams.

Ice Thickness Table Ice Thickness Permissible Load

2 inches one person on foot

3 inches group in single file

7.5 inches one car (2 tons)

8 inches light truck (2.5 tons)

10 inches truck (3.5 tons)

12 inches heavy truck (7-8 tons)

15 inches 10 tons

20 inches 25 tons

Note: This guide is based on clear, blue, hard ice on non-running waters. Slush ice is about 50 percent weaker. Clear, blue ice over running water is about 20 percent weaker. Many ice anglers do not like to fish on less than five inches of ice, and do not like to drive a pick-up truck on less than 15 inches of ice. Use common sense!

Be cautious in areas where "bubblers" are used to protect docks. They can produce thin, unsafe ice some distance away. Be especially alert in areas near shore, over moving bodies of water and on lakes and ponds where streams enter or exit.

Remember, use the buddy system while ice fishing — it saves lives.

Great info Frank! Thanks for posting it. wink.gif

Well the ice conditions at Canadarago are well... NOT UNIFORM throughout the lake.. I cut 5.5" of ice today but it's not near shore but in 42' of water in the middle of the lake confused.gif

I fished on 2" to 5.5" of ice and the least safest is the shorelines. The heavy snows that fell last week have done one thing for sure and that's insulate the lake edges as you go away from the shore. Less snow the safer the ice. So all that good below zero temps we had last night never touched the shoreline areas but made the middle of the lake alot more sturdier. It's good black ice but give your buddies a good 20' or so if you venture out. No one appreciates water bouncing in the hole when you walk up on your partner. Be safe out there...

Tim - thanks for the update on conditions. Not terribly suprising given the way the weather has been, but important to emphasize. Since we have waited for sooooo long, easy to see someone out there and assume the ice is safe and boot scoot out there without first checking the shoreline conditions.

Waiting for a call back from my fishing companions, don't know if we will be heading to the big C or not. If we do, I'll look for you guys and stop by to say hello. Have a good day tomorrow and leave some jumbos for me. Hard to believe its finally arrived.

I'll tell you what. The pond I went on yesterday had about 2 1/2 inches of ice and the spud went right through. It did support my weight, but in no way was I fishing on that ! crazy.gif

RTF: Was born in Cooperstown back in 58 and have relatives in Index,Cherry Valley,Roseboom,Sharon Springs.Hunted a few whitetails back in the 80's around Hartwick but since the deer population has grown around here, I stick close to home.Just off the east end of Oneida lake which is very smile.gifcool.giflaugh.gifconvenient.