• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Augers 8" vs. 10" Pros and Cons

LCC0709

I am new to this Forum and to Ice Fishing and love it. I have everything that I need except for an Ice Auger and I am going to get one for myself very soon. The question is, What size? I don't want to spend a lot of money and have seen some 8" double edge cutters out there that have grabbed my attention.

Please help me and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

I have an 8" strikemaster lazer mag express and love it...I also have a 6" mora hand auger for early season, and every year when I switch over to the gas auger I feel like 8" is a huge hole to fish out of, until I get adjusted back to that size. IMHO 8" is plenty of hole to fish out of, I don't feel the need to swim with my minnow, so that's why I wouldn't buy a 10" smirk.gif

Personally I like the new Eskimo Z51's with the big handle to pull start with my big choppers on. Plus they are very smooth and I like the 8" augers unless your tip-up fishing, trout, or pike fishing then get a 10". I very seldom us my 10" because I'm always on the run and gunning with my portable. So think pratical and light. Good luck in your search.

-mr

I would personally go with an 8" hole vs. the 10". With the smaller hole there is room to get most fish easily through the whole. With a smaller hole your gear(tackle,flasher,etc) are less likely to find their way down your hole. You also have a little more weight involved with a 10" auger, ann 8" lazer mag is a lot lighter IMO. So unless you do a lot of pike or laker fishing I would go with a 8" auger. Its mostly a matter of personal preferance.

I got rid of my 10' auger this year and went to an 8". 3 reasons. 1.weight about 12 pounds less. 2.a vexliar fits down a 10" hole luckly I did manage to catch it before it when all the way down. 3. A adult foot or a small child fit in a 10" hole resulting in a severely sprained ankle(yes it hurt) or a very wet child. GET THE 8" PERIOD. shocked.gif

Quote:

A adult foot or a small child fit in a 10" hole resulting in a severely sprained ankle(yes it hurt) or a very wet child. GET THE 8" PERIOD.
shocked.gif

I hear ya there. A couple years ago we drilled a ton of holes on a lake with a 10" auger. That night it got to about 30 degrees. It was cold enough to skim over the holes and cold enough to put a little layer of snow in the hole. Needless to say the next morning while trying to watch my footing, I found myself stepping into a hole. My toes curled up and my heel went down. I didn't break anything, but I could not budge my size 12 icemans in the hole. My buddy was able to chip the ice away in front of my toes to allow for me to get out. Luckily, the only thing hurt was my pride. blush.gif I kept thinking after that what would have happened if my foot went all the way down and my boot opend up under the ice. Would I have been able

to get out. Hopefully I will never find out.

I would definately go the 8" route. I have yet to catch a fish that couldn't be slid out of an 8" hole. I know it can happen, but until I lose one I'll keep using my 8". I like the fact that it is a lot lighter than the 10." Depending on what your budget is, there are a lot of options out there. I have had great luck with my 8" Strikemaster LazerMag Express. I too have use the new Eskimo Z51 and was pretty impressed. Thanks Meat-Run!

Happy shopping,

CA

I had the same dilemma last year when I bought my strikemaster. 8” or 10”? I compromised and purchased a 9”. I do like it, but in retrospect I think an 8” would be sufficient and faster. I have a friend with an 8” stikemaster and he can drill holes faster with the 8” than I can with the 9”. I didn’t think 1” would make that big a difference (there must be a joke there somewhere!), but it does. I used to drill one or two holes and sit down, relax and fish. I have changed my fishing style and drill more holes and move around more. If you think you will be drilling a lot of holes in an area I think I would go with an 8”.

cool.gif

I am new to the forum but have only seen great postings. As far as this issue goes I am fortunate enough to have both an 8" and a 10". By far the 8" is the way to go especially if you are hole hopping. Love the 10" if you a going after gators though..

I agree with all the reasons that mltjanderson posted. I also have a 8" Strikemaster and love it. Mostly bcause I'm a portable kind of guy and if you are punching 20-30 holes a day, the 10" can get a little tiring. However, last weekend I was on URL and fished out of a 10" hole my buddy drilled and that sure was nice. But I'll stick with my 8".

I've used both 8" and 10". I currently own an 8" chipper, but have used my dad and friend's 10" lazermag augers.

As far as hole diameter goes, both are fine for fishing two lines down the same hole. 10" offers more room though and less chance of getting them hooked on eachother. It also makes it easier to have your vexilar down the hole, though in either it's best to yank it out when bringing a fish up. If you fish larger waters for big walleye or northern, then the 10" definitely comes in handy for that.

Auger weight can be an issue, as I've noticed that my 8" auger is much lighter than my friend's 10". And I know it's not the head that makes that much of a difference.

Next year when I upgrade my chipper to a lazermag, I will be going with a 10" lazermag. It's just nice to have.

Quote:

As far as hole diameter goes, both are fine for fishing two lines down the same hole.

I'm not sure how this is even possible. I have enough problems with lines getting tangled when the other hole is 2-3 feet away.

8" auger is plenty for me. Plus I have a handfull of those round thermal tip-ups.

I have used a 10" for 4 years now...Its too much hole. EVERYTHING finds its way down, you STILL have to pull the ducer out of the hole and its a heavy sucker! If you drill 25-50 holes a day, the last 10 or so are tiring! If you get some ice build up on it...forget it, its like 40 lbs!!!

I got to use a 8" Strike Lite 4 stroke this year...man that thing cuts! If anyone wants a 10 1/4" unit for a Mag 2000, Ill trade ya for an 8" that matches...

Id go with the 8"...get the 224 and you can drill sideways, open 2-3 holes right together...as big as you need. Just mark the holes so noone falls in!

LCC an Luvmnice:

First, welcome to the best forum I've seen! We're glad you're here.

I have a 10" Eskimo Z51 power auger and a 6" Mora hand auger - both have their place and time. I'd rather use the Z51 to cut through 12+ inches of ice, but the 6 incher is enough hole for everything I've ever caught frown.gif. I'm looking to buy an 8" blade for the Z51 in the very near future I don't need/want all my gear going through the big hole.

TJH

I have a 10" and do like it, but it's a bit too big. I wanna get the 9". I had a buddy that put his entire leg in one of the holes I drilled. He hurt his back, leg and that leg was soaked. Gotta hand it to him as he still fished with a wet leg and pain.

I have the strikemaster 9 inch lazer mag about four years ago and love it. When I bought mind i went back and forth between the 8 and 10 until I saw the 9. decided the 10 was two heavy but wanted something bigger than 8. The only thing I have managed to lose down the hole was a pair of reading glasses. As far as an 8 drilling faster, to me the 5-6 seconds difference is not a big thing.

O

just get what you want thats that i have a 10ic jiffy 3hp, and ya it a bit heavy and i have steped down a hold before, but its a choice you have to make i like my ten inch and ya i am sure a vex fits down it but you should be more carefull with your equipment anyway, the only thing i dont like is that the frabil round tipups dont sit very well if the op of the hole isnt just write, other then that the wieght and speed to me isnt a huge factor, my 10" will cut much faster then my buddies 8" strikemaster, but all augers are a bit different long story short go with what you can afford and the size you want grin.gif

I have used a 10" for about the last 9 years and love it. But yesterday I got a 8" nils. Main reason my Jiffy was 38 lbs the Nils is 22. That is huge. With that I can tell I will probably miss the larger hole until I get used to it. Tonight I had more problems with fish wrapping my transducer than usual. But in time I will get used to it. I might have to pull the transducer more than in the past. That being said if weight isn't a concern for you then I would stongly look at a 9". The best of both worlds.

I have both a 10 inch and a 8 inch. the 10 incher is retired now. in most situations, the 8 inch is all you will ever need. plus its much lighter and which I don't think was mentioned yet, cuts a hole much faster.

my friends did like my big 10 inch when we went into canada fishing for big lakers shocked.gif. for situations like that, the 10 inch has its place, and thats why I still have it. grin.gif

Quote:

iff,

Easy Fix. Since it only takes a second I always pop a 2nd hold right behind the hole I'm fishing and run my flasher in that hole. No more tangles in the ducer
smile.gif

Ya I was thinking about doing that too. Just didn't do it tonight.

HOLY COW!!! Thanks to everyone who responded. I got a lot of feed back and pretty sure I am going to go with an 8" or possibly a 9" and split the diff. I did see a 8" dual blade with a 1.2 hp engine but worry that it wouldn't be powerful enough and I am sure it wouldn't work if I bought a bigger blade to put on it. I will be getting one soon and I will let everyone know what I end up with.

Thanks again!! This forum rocks!!

Happy Fishing everyone!

Larry