• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
sparky88

Winter camping with travel trailer?

My sons and I enjoy ice fishing, I've been thinking about taking my travel trailer out of storage and camping at the local state parks this winter. Do any of you do this? I'm worried about how my trailer will handle the salty roads. I don't want to rust out the undercarriage. Also, will the furnace keep up in 0 degree weather? I don't plan on using the water system, so that's not an issue. Thanks for your input.

By "travel trailer" I assume you mean a hardsided trailer? Your furnace is unlikely to keep up in those temps, but without knowing the BTU rating of your furnace and the volume of the trailer its hard to say. I made reference in another post that it doens't matter how much heat you've got while winter camping. If you plan accordingly for "winter camping" and hope that the heat works, you can still have a good time. Read the thread about winter camping for some ideas on clothing and sleeping gear.

I used mine in the winter, 92' 32 foot, It was ok, as for the heat, It kept it warm, but ran continously. Windows were made for summer, floor not insulated and stayed cold. As for state parks, are they open for camping in winter?? I'd try it out in the yard one night before pulling it up the road. Brent

If you can get power, you may want to mix in an electric heater. You'll have less condensation inside. Most travel trailers come with the warning that they are not designed for prolonged or out of season use as. You may be able to stay at some of the northern state parks but they don't offer much for services during the winter.

I am pretty sure that the camp roads are not plowed, so getting to the actual spot would be difficult.

Tom B