• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads......through the ice???

sparky88

One night while ice fishing for walleyes, I had caught a few smaller eyes, and man I thought I had a huge eye on when all of the sudden I see the stupid feelers of a very large and slimy bullhead (about 3 pounds). He put up a great fight, but I wasn't pleased when I found out he wasn't a walleye...

I've caught four bullheads through the ice this year. They were my first four ever ice fishing. All have come while fishing walleye structure. On the flasher they looked like finicky walleyes so I kept changing lures until I got a bite. Once I pull up a bullhead and realize what I was seeing on the flasher give me 5-10 min. and I'm packed up and on my way to shore!!!

I've caught many bullheads during the winter. I think the biggest bullhead I ever caught was a yellow bullhead from an Eden Prairie lake. It was 13" and fought like a northern. I caught it while jigging. I could see him in the hole and was trying to avoid catching him. I checked a tipup and the bullhead was on my jig when I came back.