• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance LMS 520c replacing 332c?

rascalP

Question

Anyone know anything about the 520c replacing the 332c? I was all set to get the 332 at a show(best price and maybe a free chip) this winter/spring and it seems its discontinued. Do you think the new units will command full price and no freebies? From what I saw at Lowrances' site, the new unit has 16 bit color compared to 256 color. Is this the only difference?

I found a LCX 20c for $599. 6" screen, but pixels is 240x320 compared to 480x480 on the 332c. Seems to me, the extra inch is added width but fewer pixels vert. and horz. Am I missing something on this? Anything else that might make this a better unit? Thanks for any input.

rascal

4 answers to this question

I would go with higher pixel count over screen size any day. I have a couple 332cs and a 102c (same screen size and pixels as the 332c) in my boat and am very happy with them.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 520c has more power and a better base map than the 332c, otherwise is pretty much identical. I would doubt if you'll find much for deals on them since they're new, but you never know.

The 520c is "essentially" a straight up replacement for the 332c.

I was told this fall that Lowrance was changing the color of one of the plugs on the back of the unit to make it industry standard. Thats why we have the new units this year. There may have been a few other changes but this was one minor one that I was made aware of.

I do know that all of their high end depthfinder/GPS units have been upgraded this year as well.

LC-X111 is now the LC-X113

LC-X25 is now the LC-X27

LC-X26 is now the LC-X28

and..

LMS 332c is the LMS 520c

I really wouldn't count on finding much for deals on these units, they are brand new to the scene now. Now if you were looking last fall, some of the units were absolute bargains. I know the X-25 was discounted nearly $500 off the retail price at Cabelas.

Here is what I will tell you about the difference between the 332 and the LCX 20. These are the two units that I have. The 332 pixels are awesome. I bought the 20 first and thought the same as you thinking the extra 1 would be better for me as I would be running the split screen sonar/gps. It works very well and it is nice. With that though the pixels are way nice to have. So if I were to do it over again I would but a 332 1st.

They way I am setting them up on my boat is to be able to use the 332 at the bow it the GPS and Sonar and then I am going to put another power cord at the console so that I can use the 332 for depth and the 20 for GPS. When the 332 is at the bow I will still be able to use my 20 with GPS and sonar. I will involve some hop scotching depending on my fishing situation but it will be worth it. It will be a sweet setup when it is done. If you find a good deal on the 332 look and see if you can find a LCX 25. These have a higher pixel count and they are 7" screen the price of these had came down allot last fall you might be able to find one of these still these are a awesome unit to have.